Chapter 46

On June 5, 2001, Trevor was getting dressed for his graduation at his home. His cousin, older brother, sister, Thoro, and Pit were sitting in the living room getting intoxicated for the event. Trevor was the only one who chose to stay sober.

            He stood in front of a mirror, fixing the dark tie around his neck. Trevor wanted to look nice today, even if no one would see his clothes from under the graduation gown. His black baggy dress pants were ironed to a crisp and his shoes polished. For style, Trevor slightly popped the cufflinks out on his shirtsleeve. He gazed at himself in the mirror to make sure everything was in order, which it was.

There was so much racket going on in the living room of the apartment Trevor could hardly think. Was his family having that much fun? He stepped out of his room, looking into the overly packed living area that now held even more people than before. What started out as just a few folks ended up being something that could pass for a house party. There were at least ten more people in the room, all of which were family. For the most part, the relatives here weren’t related to Trevor by blood, since they were members of Heavy’s family. Still, they were the ones who helped raise him after his great grandmother died.

“Aye! Aye there he Go!” Tyrika shouted over the others. She pointed to her brother with a proud smirk on her face. “Mr. graduate!” To Trevor seeing family like this together was rare. A few aunts and uncles lined up to congratulate him despite the fact he didn’t walk across the stage yet.

“Awwww! My Trev graduatin’!” Aunt Flossie exclaimed, wrapping Trevor in a tight hug. “Oh I’m so proud of you. I told everybody he been the one, but they aint believe me.”

“Aye boy! Ha-Haa!” Uncle Glenn laughed in a raspy voice, dapping his nephew extra hard. “Look sharp boy, Look ‘real’ sharp.

Auntie BB, one of Trevor’s blood aunts clamped her hands together in exaggerated joy. “Ohhhh! Com’ here baby!” She summoned him to her with open arms, embracing him strongly when he arrived. “Auntie love you so much. We are so proud of you. I can’t wait to see you walk across that stage.” Her eyes began to water, making Trevor sigh on the inside. Aunt BB could be so dramatic. “Mm, my baby graduating.”

After getting swarmed by family, Heavy walked to his brother’s side. “can I have everyone’s attention please!” he shouted, a bottle of liquor in his left hand and his right arm around his brother. “Aye… I just wanna say, that…” Heavy paused a moment, like he lost his train of thought. “I wanna say that, um. I’m proud of Trev man.” He turned to face his brother. “You did yo thing dog. I aint gon’ lie, I aint think you could make to New York, or to school for that matta’.” The family around them started nodding their heads, all silently confessing the doubt they had for Trevor. “Aye but you proved me wrong. And I’m proud of you lil bruh.” Everyone in the room began to clap and shout. From the way there were acting you would think he got elected president.

Trevor left out of the apartment with his cap and gown in hand. Some of his family members unknowingly put grease stains on his shirt. He whipped out his phone and dialed Tanesha to see where she was. They’re suppose to meet up at Denny’s with India and her friends for an early lunch, but Trevor was running about forty minutes late. India had already blown his phone up with calls, clearly anger about his timing.

“Hello? Miya said, answering her sister’s phone.

“Aye ya’ll ready?”

“Yea… well, I am,” She admitted. “Nesse still getting dressed and my fam won’t leave me alone. I had to go in the bathroom just to get away.”

“That’s cool, I’m just now leavin. I thought D was gon let me borrow her car, but some of my fam’ need her to drive them to the coliseum. Ya’ll got me on a ride?”