Chapter 22

At 8am on Saturday morning, Trevor, Heavy, and Pit were hanging out on the porch of an apartment building. Dressed in black the three looked half asleep as they passed a blunt amongst themselves. Desoto laid on the last step, the only one who seemed be alert.

            Heavy studied his long diamond chain while Pit sat back with his eyes closed. Trevor flicked his lighter on and off, staring at the fire. He burned his thumb several times that morning doing this, but didn’t care. His phone went off shortly after, distorting the others from their sleepless daze. Trevor pulled his cell phone out and saw a text message from India.

‘do you work today?’

Usually Trevor wouldn’t reply to anyone at this time of day, but India wasn’t just anyone.

‘Nope. Why, What’s up?’ he texted back. After a minute or two of waiting his phone went off again.

‘Good. Meet me at the McDonalds by the school at 10.’ She responded. Trevor raised his eyebrow, wondering what she had planned.

‘For what?’ he wrote her.

She answered him rather quickly. ‘Just do it Trev.’ Trevor sighed and put his phone back in his pocket.

            “Yo who you talkin’ to this early nigga?” Heavy asked.

            “Somebody,” Trevor replied, not really answering the question. He glanced at Pit who was almost knocked out. “Aye he straight?”

            “He’ll be aight,” Heavy said. He picked up the cup of codeine in front of Pit and handed it to his brother. “Aye get some dog.”

            “Naw, I’m meetin’ someone at 10,” Trevor refused.

            “What you got a job interview or somethin’?” Heavy asked.

            “Nope.”

            “Then drink up dude," Heavy pressured. Trevor snatched the drink from his brother and stared at it. He took a few sips from the drugged liquid.

             Trevor lifted the cup to his face and grinned. “It’s pretty good,” he said, referring to the taste.

            “Duh nigga,” Heavy retorted, closing his eyes. Trevor took his last sip and felt extra relaxed. He knew what the effects of Codeine could do, and wasn’t trying to be over intoxicated around India. So he drank just enough of the drug to place him in a comfortable yet drowsy state of mind.

            By the time ten o’clock rolled by, Trevor was sitting at a table outside of McDonalds with his head down. He showered and changed clothes to be fresh for India. He wore a long white shirt, black pants, and hat turned back.

            Thinking about his problems with Zone, Trevor was in silent conversation with his self. When a hand touched his shoulder he jerked around, almost reaching for his revolver. Trevor looked up half way offended until he saw India behind him. He slowly got out of his seat and grazed his hands through his nappy hair.

            “You okay?” India asked. “Thought I heard you talking to yourself.”

            “I was…” Trevor truthfully answered. “It happens sometimes.”

            India nodded. “Yea me too,” she agreed, but then looked at him oddly. “Just not in public.”

            “Don’t try and play me, aint like I was loud with it,” Trevor replied. He saw India shrug her shoulders and dropped the subject. “So why we meetin’ here? What you got planned?”

            “Well…” She paused with a big smile on her face. “I need your help with something.”

            “What?”

            “It’s nothing too big. I just need some help looking after some kids.” She replied rather calmly, making Trevor feel like nonchalant.

            “Aight,” Trevor agreed, following her a light tan Toyota Camry. He got in the passenger seat and watched India get behind the wheel. “I aint know you drive.”

            “Yea, this is my stepmom’s car. I just got my license, “ she stated. She put the car in reverse and backed out of the parking lot. India swerved on the main road, running over a curb in the process. Trevor leaned back in the seat trying to get comfortable when India suddenly slammed on the brakes. The force of the stop made Trevor jerk forward in an uncomfortable manner. He looked at her like she didn’t know what she was doing.

            “Damn nigga,” he grumbled. “You want me to drive?”

            “No,” India snapped. “Just buckle up. I don’t wanna get a ticket.” Trevor slowly slid his seat belt on shaking his head.

            “Tickets?” He repeated. “Drivin’ like that you need to worry bout accidents.” India cut her eyes to his remark and hit the gas, driving poorly all the way to their destination.

            India pulled into the parking lot of a large building called New Faith; it was a church. Trevor stared at the building then India. “Why we stoppin’ here?” he asked.

            “Because. This is it,” India smiled. Trevor didn’t seem enthused at all.

            “Dude… you takin’ me to church?” He griped.

            “Relax, it’s not an actual service. They got this youth day going on, and I volunteered to help look after some of the kids,” India explained. “Com’ on. It’ll be fun.” Trevor mumbled a few curse words while exiting the car. He yanked his pants up and lingered behind India, following her inside.

            When they entered the church they ran into a middle-aged woman. “Hey India, how are you?” The lady greeted.

            “Hey Mrs. Glenn. I’m good, kind of tired though,” she answered. Mrs. Glenn turned her attention to Trevor who looked noticeably unfriendly.

            “Who’s your friend?” She wondered, smiling at him warmly.

            “This is Trevor,” India introduced. Trevor nodded his head and faked a half smile. “He offered too help.”

            “Aww, that’s nice. Well don’t let me hold you. You two have good one,” Mrs. Glenn said, waving them off. Trevor sighed deeply and leaned close to India while they walked down the hallway.

            “This sucks…” he complained. India nudged him in the side. “Man I’m just tellin’ you how I feel.”

            They walked up a flight of stairs to the second floor. There, India led Trevor to room 213. When she opened the door Trevor cringed. He glanced around the large room seeing a bunch of kids from ages four to six running around being loud. The only other adult in there was a girl who looked to be in her twenties. She saw India and Trevor and went to them.

            “Hey! I’m glad your here. They need me down stairs with the teens,” She said, placing her hands on her waist.

            “So you won’t be up here with me?” India asked. She sounded disappointed.

            “Sorry, but I can’t,” She apologized. “But hey, at least you brought help.” India and her friend glanced at Trevor.

            “Yea, hope he’s up for it,” India joked. The two laughed, but Trevor didn’t join in. He watched the other girl leave and frowned at India. “It won’t be that bad.”

            Trevor folded his arms, reframing his self from speaking his mind. He looked back at the kids biting his tongue. This was going to be a long day.