Chapter 41

On Monday morning Trevor was back at school, strolling the halls with Tanehsa, Miya, and Thoro. Still in crotches, he moved as fast as he could to his third period math class. The group of friends made sure to walk slow to keep up with Trevor’s slow pace.

            “Ole Pyro back in school huh?” Tanesha grinned.

            “Yea man. Got these exams comin’ up, I gotta get em done,” Trevor replied.

            “Exams?” Thoro exclaimed, scrunching his face up. “Man ‘ya’ll’ got exams. I aint even worried bout that shit.”

            “You aint trynna’ walk across that stage?” Miya asked, nudging him in the arm. Thoro shook his head fiercely.

            “Nope. I’m callin’ it quits,” he said. “I been in the ten grade for too long man. I’m done with it.”

            “I feel you,” Trevor partly agreed. “But I’m gettin’ my diploma though. Just got one semester left too.”

            “Amen, Amen, Amen!” Miya added, waving a hand in the air like she was worshiping God. “Once I’m out of here, I’m goin’ to Nash tech so I can be a masseuse.”

            “And I’m goin’ to the air force. Gon get that money,” Tanesha said. She turned to Trevor. “So what about you Pyro, what you got planned?”

            “Really… I’m trynna get in this school in New York,” he told her. There was a brief moment of silence between the group before Thoro started to snicker, causing Miya and Tanesha to do the same.

            “Hol up, you trynna go to New York?” Thoro wondered, a taunting smirk on his face.

            “That’s what I said aint it?” Trevor snapped.

            “Since when you start shootin’ for the stars?” Miya exclaimed.

            “Aye for real,” Thoro nodded. “This nigga got two A’s, and all of sudden he Einstein? Man you betta’ stick with Nash Tech. That’s more yo speed.”

            “Ya’ll think that’s funny?” Trevor questioned, getting offended in the lack of confidence in him.

            “I’m just sayin’ bruh. Yea you did good this semester, but it’s bout the only one. You forgot about all them F’s you got back in the day?” Thoro teased, being more serious than jokey.

            “Thoro right Pyro,” Miya stated. “You might as well gon’ head and come on to Tech. You can apply up to august next year. I already got accepted, All you need is a 15 on the A.C.T and money.” She referred to the American College Testing, which was a standardized test to see if students where prepared for higher education.