Chapter 44

The next day a little after 4:00pm, Trevor was lying on the couch staring at the artwork in front of him. He finally finished the picture he worked so hard on for New York University. The coloring and last touches of detail were completed and Trevor never felt more accomplished.

            He wanted to call India to tell her he’d finished the work of art, but was still weary about yesterday. Even though Trevor knew it wasn’t her fault for bringing him over to his grandmother’s house, he still felt some type of way. In eight years he hasn’t seen or heard from her; and she had the nerve to say the things she said to him. If he didn’t know any better he would have cursed her out.

            While Trevor remained seated, thinking about the other day, Tyrika strolled into the living room. She wore a long purple shirt and black sweat pants. “Trevvv!” she shouted, scaring him out of his daze. Trevor sighed and shot his sister an irritated look. “Guess what, I got good news!”

            “What’s up?” Trevor mumbled, looking at her.

            “I said guess, Trev…” she repeated.

            “Rika, just tell me what’s up,” Trevor replied.

            Tyrika took a seat on the couch next to her brother with an ear-to-ear smile. “I’m pregnant! And the baby’s Kyiree’s. We finally back together, So imma be movin’ back in with him.”

            “Aye that is good news,” Baby-D exclaimed, leaning in the doorway.

            “I know right! We hopin’ it’s gonna be a boy,” Tyrika smiled.

            “Oh, I wasn’t talkin’ bout that,” She corrected. “I was talkin’ bout you movin’ out. The best damn news I heard all week.”

            Tyrika cut her eyes. “Anyway, aren’t you excited Trev? You gon be a uncle.” Trevor didn’t have much to say about the situation. His mind went back to what his grandmother said about his sister and brother. And to make things worse, they were proving her right. “Trev, what’s wrong?”

            “Man…” he sighed, trying to decide whether he should tell her or not. “Man, I saw grandma yesterday.” He finally confessed.

            Tyrika’s eyes slanted in anger upon hearing this. “What? That old witch still alive?”

            “Duh, she only like 50 aint it?” Baby-D remarked.

            “How the hell you run into her?”

            Trevor sat up on the couch a little straighter than he was. “Man, Rika… let me tell ya. It’s was the last thing I woulda’ have imaged dog. She India’s neighbor.” Tyrika’s mouth dropped like a flying rock. “And what make it worst, is that she been the one who was suppose to help me out!”

            “Got damn…” Tyrika folded her arms in disbelief. “I coulda’ swore she was still upstate livin’ in ‘Baldwin hills’.” She mocked.

            “Naw man, she moved back down here,” Trevor said.

            His sister sucked her teeth. “If she was a real grandma she woulda’ been don help us out, throw us some money or somethin’. She know we strugglin’ out here.” Trevor’s mind was more focused on what his grandmother said the other day, not his sister’s ranting. “Matta’ fact, what you shoulda’ did was ask her for some money. It’s the least she can do after eight years.”