Chapter 27

I walked into work with a big smile plastered on my face. Today, so far, has been a good day and I'm just ready to go home to my kid. It's now summertime and school is out, so Rico is staying with Shay until I get home.

"Grace, you're glowing," Dr. Velez teased me. We laughed and began talking about the baby. Who she's going to look like, eye color, hair color, how light or dark she's going to be. I'm hoping for a dark baby, well as dark as she can be. I'm in love with melanin. The wide variety of complexions holds so much beauty.

As usual, it's slow and boring in here. The main house is also boring because I've learned that it's not Mr. Colombo's house but a distraction from his private home. Nothing exciting really happens here, not that I want injured men laying before me.

A few hours passed by before the door slammed open. A man began yelling in Italian with blood flowing down from his chest. Dr. Velez and I jumped up to help this man.

"What?" I asked him as I helped him to a bed and began searching for the bullet entry.

"Between us and them. They want all of what we have," He spoke slowly and his skin grew cold.

"Please, please, don't die!" I yelled then stepped aside for the doctor to help. This is what Dro was saying? The possibility of a 'war'. He did say in the next 48 hours. I pulled out my phone to call him but it went straight to voicemail.

I called Shay and Reno but neither of them answered. Next thing I know, men are all coming in here dropping like flies. I put my phone down to help but they died the minute they came into the room. The sound of gunshots made me scream. The sound still haunts me from that night.

The gunshots lasted for about an hour before I heard it went dead silent. Throughout the shootout, I hid behind the black steel door that leads to the medical equipment.

"Grace!" Dr. Velez called my name. They're outside? How did they even get through the amount of security that we have? I finally moved closer to him before I was stopped in my steps.

"They're here," I said and it felt like slow motion. A group of men walked into the room with suits on. They all looked around and past me before the one in front eyed me. What are they? The matrix?

"Grace" One looked at me and said. He didn't ask. They all had guns in their hands. I didn't say anything and I tried my best to hide my fear from my face. Just a few hours ago everything was all good. What the hell happened?

"And you are?" I put my hands on my hips to stop them from shaking. I glanced down at my stomach and thanked God I wore my scrubs that are a size too big. Not only is my life at risk, so is my baby's life and that thought alone is pissing me off.

The man chuckled and held his gun up to my face. He took a few steps forward until the cold steel touched my face. I still showed no fear but on the inside I really want to pee myself. In a blink of an eye, I can be dead. My son won't have a mother or father, my daughter will probably die right along with me and my family-

"Gracey," The man brought me out of my thoughts. He pushed the gun deeper into my skin, I'm sure it's going to leave a mark on my face.

"What's your name? You look like a Tony," I smiled in his face and his eyebrows met in the middle of his forehead, confusion written all over it. Rule #1 and rule #2 wrapped up in one.

"Rule number one, never show your emotions. Whether you're mad, sad, happy, scared. Never show it,".

"When you say rules, it makes you sound like you're training me to be a karate kid," I laughed and Dro rolled his eyes.