Chapter 12

Renee Smith in the MM.

"Ryan! Where have you been?" My mothers voice rang in my ears.

"Getting me," I said and she turned around and stared at me. "What? No hello?"

"Do I know you?" She asked with attitude.

"Mom, now is not the time," I gave her a hug and she laughed.

"How was your flight? You came with Andre?" She asked and I shook my head. "Why not?"

"He's dead," I simply said.

"What?!" I heard three different voices. I looked around to see my brother and sister with their mouth hung.

"How?" Dread asked.

"He killed himself," I shrugged.

"Good," Renee added then left the room.

"Why'd she say that?" I asked and my mother sighed.

"When Rico first moved here, he had nightmares then he showed us what Andre would do to you," My mom said.

"He never showed me," Dread said with his face still in shock.

"Ryan, that's because your never here," my mother rolled her eyes. "I would say I'm sorry but I'm not and by your demeanor, you aren't too,"

"You're right," I sat down. "How long until Rico gets here,"

"He's sleeping right now in my room," my mom smiled. "He reminds me so much of you as a child, so helpful but that mouth,"

"Yeah I was very rude," I laughed. "I guess after Andre I changed," I looked at my freshly manicured hands, something I haven't seen in years.

"You were always quiet but now it's like your tense all the time," my mom sat next to me.

"Except for when she's with Mr. Columbo," Dread (Ryan) teased. My moms eyebrows raised and I rolled my eyes. Seems like I'll be rolling my eyes a lot.

"Shut up," I threw a pillow from the couch at my little brother.

"Who is that?" My mom asked.

"My boss," I said with a straight face.

"Mm," was all she said. "Was he the reason you were getting your ass beat?" She lifted up my shirt and gasped.

I pulled it back down and shook my head. "I didn't start working with him until after. I didn't know who he was until after," I lied.

"Your sister got her visa," my mom said after staring at my shirt. "Maybe she can-"

"I don't have my own place yet, I've been staying with a friend," I cut her off. "I told Renee, when I get my own place then she can come,"

"Okay," My mom didn't push it. I think she's still in shock after seeing my bruises. But that's nothing compared to what my body used to look like. I haven't been beaten in a week, my body has had time to heal a little and I don't stay bruised for long.

I stood up and went towards my mothers room. I stood in the doorway at my baby boy slept in peace. I walked over to him and ruffled his hair that is now cut short. His colored eyes opened and then closed. He began blinking and then he finally opened his eyes and it widened.

"Mommy?" He sat up and I smiled.

"Hey baby," I whispered and he jumped onto me and hugged me as if his life depended on it. I hugged him back and we rocked for a while. Tears collected in my eyes and soon fell rapidly on my cheeks.