Chapter 18

Mark’s P.O.V

  When I was 18 it was the best and worst day of my life. I had waited years to turn 18 so I could finally leave the orphanage and be on my own. But all that change when she came in that one morning. She was beautiful beyond words. Even though she was dressed in old beat up clothing she still the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She had dark red hair that made her grey eyes pop, her pale complexion clear. She was petite barely reaching above someone’s shoulder. She stood out from everyone in the orphanage. She was always by herself and the look she held in her eyes could make anyone see through her.

  Pain. Anger. That’s all that you could see in those grey eyes. Everyone can see that she had been through hell and back. Everyone could see the dark colored bruises on her arms and legs when she wore shirts and shorts. Others could see the scars that were on her wrists and if you looked carefully on the skin along her legs, you could also see burns left behind from what looked like a cigarette butt. It was clear as day that this girl had been through torture.

  It anger me beyond belief at the thought of someone hurting someone who looks so pure and innocent. She didn’t look a day older than 12 and it killed me to see how broken she really was. But I can understand why she feels that way. I had been moved here when I was 3 year old after social services found out my parents were good for nothing drug addicts that abused their child. Ever since then I’ve been stuck here and I hated it. No one wanted to take me with them when they came to adopt a child but at one I didn’t care anymore. I had fully accepted the fact that I was going to be here for the rest of my adolescent life.

  The second day she was there I had spend my time wandering around the place just looking for something interesting. When I came to her room I stopped and knocked on the door and asked if she wanted a tour around the place. She was hesitated at first but after a few minutes of debating with herself she agreed. I showed her everything there was around the hell hole I called the center. When I had finished I took outside with me so I could have a smoke. I had stood against the wall with the cigarette in between my fingers when I caught her staring at me.

 “You wanna try it?” I asked her, holding out the cigarette.

   Again she looked hesitated but took the cigarette and took a dragged. She had made the strangest face ever but she never did give me the cigarette back. While we were outside she had decided to tell me why she was here and I knew by my judgement that I had been correct about some parts of my theories. When she had finished her story I had dragged her towards my room and handed her a bottle of tequila. After that day we became best friends and were inseparable

  That what we thought until I had turn eighteen. She had just turned fifteen last month. I remember sitting down in her bedroom our bodies pressed against the wall as we talked about the following morning. I had packed my bags the day before and I had one day to say goodbye to my friends. I had spend my morning saying bye to the other few friends I had so I had the afternoon and now the evening to hang out with the only person I knew I was going to miss the most. She was my best friend and the girl I had kissed. That day will forever be engraved in my head.

 “I’m going to miss you, Mark”, she said her voice cracking a bit at the end. She was dressed in a long shirt and mini shorts, her hair was grabbed in a messy bun making her look like she had just rolled out of bed.

  I turned towards her and sighed. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and pulled her into my body, my head leaning down to rest on her shoulder. I didn’t know what to say because I knew if I said something along the lines that I would miss her, I knew I would make her cry.