Chapter 18~ Brave Faces

"How is she?" asked Peter for the twenty-third time that day.

"She's been twitching a little more," replied Midnight Lilly, "She should be waking up soon."

"You said that yesterday!" he snapped.

"It's hard to tell with cases like Jill's!" she snapped back, "Don't question me Eagle Flies Peter. I've been a healer for a long time. You don't think I don't want her to wake up too?"

I heard some shuffling as an awkward silence set in between them. I could literally feel the tension in the air.

"I'm sorry," said Peter, "I just want her to wake up. That's all."

"We just need to be patient," she replied with a sigh, "She'll wake up."

I might not have been able to move or open my eyes at that moment but I could hear everything that was going on around me. It was amazing what a difference not being able to see had. Every noise seemed sharper and clearer. I could hear a fly hit a wall and Slightly's usually silent footsteps as he snuck the last of the strawberries from the stash in the middle of the night so that he could have them all for himself.

I wasn't worried about not being able to see for the time being because I heard Midnight say that it was only temporary. Even at her young age Midnight knew a lot more than people gave her credit for. It wasn't fair that her sister got all the glory just because she was a fighter. Without people like Midnight there wouldn't be any fighters. They'd all be dead and then where would we be?

I decided to try and open up my eyes for the umpteenth time and found that I was making some headway. I felt my left eye start to twitch.

"Did you see that?!" Peter chattered, "Her eye twitched!"

"Yeah and now she just winced," she shot back, "Shut up."

The poor boy went silent and I heard him sit down on the ground grouchily.

I couldn't blame either of them for being a bit moody- or kooky for that matter. They had been up for days watching over me. Midnight had been up for three days straight. Yesterday Peter dragged her out and commanded her to get some sleep. She gave him one heck of a fight but in the end he managed to put her down for a couple of hours.

I wanted to wake up. I was tired of waiting for my body to come out of this. I was sick of being a vegetable. I was starting to feel annoyed with the numbness that filled my muscles and my joints were achy from misuse.

Okay stupid limbs, I ordered, Move!

I fought with all my might to lift my hand and I got my index finger to twitch.

Well that's progress.

Then I tried opening up my eyes again. I got both of my eyelids to twitch.

"She's twitching!!" Peter whisper-yelled.

"I know shhh!"

Come on!

I focused all of my energy on the muscles in my eyes and I felt my eyes move. Suddenly I was staring at the root-covered ceiling of the hideout.

Finally.

"SHE'S AWAKE!!" cried Peter, jumping up from where he was sitting on the ground and darting over to me. There were tears in his eyes and a giant smile plastered to his face, "I just knew you would wake up! I just knew it!"

"Eagle Flies Peter!" Midnight scolded, giving him the most defensive, mothering glare I have ever seen in my life, "Back off right now!"

I took a deep breath and tried to speak but it came out as a raspy croak. I coughed and tried again.