Chapter 27~ Home

Jill's POV

All that I remember from the journey back to my body is darkness. There was a moment when I thought that the doors were some elaborate trick and I left my perfect heaven with my parents to spend eternity in darkness.

Then it was over and I woke up. I burst out of the water, my deprived lungs gasping for air. I choked on water and it sprayed out of my nose, making it burn.

"She's alive!" Yelled Vinny, tears running down his face, "Jill! You're okay!"

He jumped into the water, picking me up into his strong arms and bear hugging me.

It took me a moment to register what was happening. I put my arms around him and rested my head on his shoulder. I could feel the warmth of his skin and the beat of his heart as it crashed against my own. I felt really cold, colder than I'd ever felt in my entire life and my arms erupted in gooseflesh.

"Mama!"

"You're alive!"

"I knew you would make it!"

All of the Lost Boys piled into the pool, jumping and laughing and hugging and kissing. Jax hugged me so fiercely that I thought I might break. Then I saw Peter. He was standing back, as if he were afraid to get close to me.

"Peter?" I asked.

He looked up and suddenly I saw how vulnerable he truly was. The light in his green eyes were shattered.

"Peter Pan," I smiled, and reached out to him. A smile spread over his forlorn face and he leaped into the pool and into my waiting arms. His hug was fierce and full of emotion and even Tinkerbell joined in, hugging my cheek and giving me fairy kisses that tickled my nose.

"Don't ever do that again," he whispered.

Joy was sweet and savory in the air as we reveled in our latest victory but something bitter stained the air as well.

Suddenly two things became very clear to me. The first thing was that I was very much alive. I had fingers and toes and arms and legs, all with feeling. I wiggled my toes and bent my fingers. They all felt stiff and numb but I could feel. I could feel pressure on my back from where my body had pressed against the ground. I could feel the air going in and out of my lungs as I breathed and the blood pumping through my veins. I could feel the weight of my wet clothes and the warmth of the blanket that Vinny draped over my shoulders.

The second was that my best friend was none of those things. She was gone.

I looked over and saw a second pool where Midnight lay. I slowly pulled myself out of the pool, wincing as my very bones creaked and moaned like an old house. Water poured from my clothes and I stepped into the other pool.

Her face was pale, almost blue and her skin was cold to the touch. I went over held her small hand in mine and held it against my chest, like somehow, through some miracle, some of the life that she had given to me might be given back. Vinny helped me take her out of the pool and lay her down on the ground. She looked so peaceful, like she was sleeping; the edges of her mouth pulled into a small smile.

"Momma?" asked Pudge, "Is Midnight sleeping?"

"Yes, sweetie," I replied, "Midnight is asleep and she's going to be asleep for a very long time."

"If she's asleep then why are you crying?" he asked.

I wiped away my tears and I pulled him into a hug.

"Because I won't be able to see her for a very long time."

"When will you see her again?"

"When I go sailing one last time."