Chapter 5~ Recovery and the Lost Boys

Jill's POV

It was another three days before I could finally sit up again and another week after that before I felt well enough to walk. Every time I'd try to sit up during those first couple of days a wave of nausea would come over me and I'd get sick. Peter kept a bucket by my bedside just in case I felt like I was going to vomit. Whenever I got sick he would rub my back soothingly until my stomach would settle down and then he'd give me some water. I couldn't eat much either so the first couple of days were a little rough.

Despite Peter's kindness towards me, he always seemed distant. He wasn't cold, but he seemed like he didn't want to get too close. I mean, just because I was a girl doesn't mean I wouldn't stab him in the back the first chance I got.

Even though I was in such bad shape and I was in a lot of pain, the days went quickly and I felt myself becoming more and more at home in the Secret Hideout.

When Peter wasn't there one of the boys would stay behind to help me. They were reluctant at first to be left out of their adventures with Peter but when they found out that I could tell stories they begged to stay.

That is how I learned their names. There were twelve lost boys: Tubby, Tommy, Joey, Slightly, Nick and Nack (the twins), Patt, Finn, Curly, Freckles, Jax and Pudge.

Tubby was short and stocky with a round face to match with big rosy cheeks and beady eyes. He had curly blond hair that grew in tight corkscrews on his head and a small button nose that seemed to be a permanent shade of pink. His favorite story was Cinderella. He loved my description of Ella, saying that I was enchanting.

Tommy was super skinny with chestnut-green eyes and a feather in his dark brown hair. He loved birds and collected their feathers. On one of their raids he found a book on birds. He couldn't read but he loved the pictures. His favorite story was Sleeping Beauty because he liked the part with the dragon.

Joey had strawberry blond hair and a streak of war paint under each of his blue eyes. He was missing two of his front teeth and always seemed to be giggling. His favorite story was the Little Mermaid.

Slightly was Peter's second-in-command and was covered in freckles. He had straight, brown hair and dark brown eyes. His favorite story was also the Little Mermaid. He said that there were mermaids on the island but Peter never let the Boys go near them because it was dangerous for them, but Slightly thought that Peter just wanted to keep them all to himself. He said that he was quite a ladies man. I scoffed at him and rolled my eyes.

Nick and Nack, the twins, were almost completely identical. They wore skunk skin hats over their blond hair and had blue war paint underneath their hazel eyes. They both loved Hansel and Grettle because Hansel and Grettle were twins too.

Patt looked a lot like Tommy but he was shorter with brilliant blue eyes. He loved to pull pranks on the other boys. His favorite story was the Beauty and the Beast because he thought that the talking furniture and dishes were funny. That story was one of the hardest to tell because of all the different accents that I had to do, but the looks on their faces were completely worth it.

Finn and Curly were about as inseparable as the twins and the best of friends. They both had a giant mop of hair but Curly's was bright red and curly and Finn's was brown and wavy. Finn had green eyes and Curly had brown eyes. Their favorite story was Snow White. They said that they imagined themselves as the dwarves and I was Snow White (I specifically made it so that there were ten dwarves instead of seven so that they would each have a place in the story).

"Who is the Evil Queen?" I asked.

"Hook!" Curly cried.

I laughed and then asked, "Then who is Prince Charming?"