Chapter 13~ Empty Without You

Jill's POV

It had been a two weeks since I had last seen Peter.

I missed him terribly.

My chest ached with an emptiness that I had never felt before and I kept feeling like something was missing inside of me. I was extremely depressed, even though I was determined not to show it. I focused on taking care of the Boys and Vinny and tried as hard as I could to push Peter out of my mind. I couldn't be upset right now. I couldn't be emotional. I had to be strong.

Vinny was still hurt but he was slowly recovering. His bruises were gone and his cuts were healed but his bones were another issue. His ribs still bothered him though he tried not to show it and he needed help doing almost everything. I took care of him as much as I could and I rarely left his side. I made him food, treated him, and even helped him get up so that he could go relieve himself.

That morning Midnight Lilly had confronted me and told me that she would take care of him for the day.

"You're exhausted," she said, "You need to rest."

"I'm fine," I insisted. It was an absolute lie, I know, but there was no time for rest. He needed me.

"No you're not Jill," said Vinny, not buying what I said for one second, "No offense, but you look terrible."

"Jee thanks," I grumbled.

"Just take the day off," he said, "You're going to get sick if you keep this up. I'll be fine here."

I sighed in defeat, "All right, but you have to promise me that you're going to be okay."

"Really Jill?"

"PROMISE!!" I demanded. On any other day I would have weaseled my way into staying but I was too tired to come up with a good argument.

"Jeese!! Okay okay!" he rolled his eyes, "I promise I'll be fine."

"Now go take a bath!" the young Princess giggled, "You're starting to stink as bad as the Lost Boys! There is a hot spring nearby to the East if you would like to have a warm bath. There's a small pool that's good for washing and always has clean water. There is a log hanging over it too."

She tossed me a fresh set of clothes and with a roll of my eyes I left for the springs.

It had been a while since I had last taken a proper bath. I felt gross and dirty but there were other things that I felt were more important (like taking care of the Boys and Vinny) so I just didn't make the time for it.

I walked Eastward until I found a nice pool of water that fit the description that Midnight had given me. After making sure that no one was around I quickly got undressed and jumped into the steamy, warm, water. It felt absolutely wonderful.

I scrubbed every inch of my body and washed all of the dirt and grime from my hair. When I was done my skin was a rosy shade of pink and I felt like I was ten pounds lighter.

I pulled on my corset and the Indian-style dress and then jumped onto the log that was hanging over the pool. It was drier up on the log than on the bank and it was nice to let my feet dangle and feel the water and steam between my toes. The pool wasn't as crystal clear anymore, but it was already clearing up, just like Midnight said. 

My mind flashed back to the last time I went to take a bath in the woods. I chuckled to myself a the thought. Who would have thought that in only a few weeks I would end up being a mother to 10 kids?

"Who would've thought it?" I laughed to myself.

Then I thought about Vinny and how much he was going through. I felt a pang of guilt slice it's way into me. I should have been able to beat Bart. I should have been able to hold my own against him. Vinny shouldn't have had to come but instead I let Bart get the best of me and. It was all my fault that he was captured by the Indians. It hurt to see him like that. It hurt to see him in so much pain. His pain was my pain and his hurt was my hurt. Pretty soon I just ended up feeling numb.