Chapter 6~ Tigers Roar and so do I

Jill's POV

We stalked through the forest, some of us in the trees and others on the forest floor. We signaled each other by making different animal calls. I howled like a wolf.

"Why am I a wolf?" I asked.

"Because the wolf is Peter's call!" Tommy piped up, making me blush yet again.

I had been blushing an awful lot lately but I had no idea why. I kept getting this weird fluttery feeling whenever the boys talked about me and Peter together. It was really strange and new to me.

We were looking to steal food and medicine from the Indians. Apparently they stole some of our supplies and this was our way of getting back at them. Fighting with the Indians was just one big game for the Lost Boys.

"We go back and forth like this all the time," Finn explained, acting like this was nothing, "They steal some of our super awesome stuff when we aren't looking and we steal some of their stuff from underneath their silly noses."

The Indians were camped in a small grove in the middle of the forest. They lived in a small bundle of tipis that were arranged in a circle around a central fire pit. The tipis were decorated with beautiful pictures of wild animals like deer and boars. There were people all around the camp, but they all seemed to be women and children. Some were weaving baskets, others were cooking, and some were skinning animals.

I guess this is where the Lost Boys get their animal skin attire, I thought to myself.

Then I heard something that sounded like a crow and the boys began to move in. Pudge was beside me with a little club of his own.

"I'll protect you Mother!" he whispered, "Don't you worry!"

I smiled. For someone so small, Pudge had the heart of a lion.

"CHARGE!" Peter cried and we all jumped from our positions and ambushed the camp.

The women screamed and ran into their tipis, grabbing the children as they went. Some of the older boys fought back with swords and sling shots. It was absolute madness! I ended up finding myself laughing with pure joy as we fought back.

Nick and Nack wrestling with another pair of twins from the indian tribe and Joey was running away from some kid with a hammer. Roddy was running away with a basket full of berries when he got tackled by another kid. He jumped back up, yelling and hollering and ran after his attacker.

I saw Finn attack one of the women and steal their blanket. I stopped him, grabbed the blanket, and returned it to the woman. I lightly smacked Finn in the back of the head with a frown, "Shame on you, Finn! Honorable men do not steal from ladies! I will not tolerate it!"

Finn bowed his head in shame after his scolding and apologized to the woman before running off to raid someone else. The woman took the blanket into a tipi where a baby was and wrapped it around it. She smiled at me in thanks. I smiled back and then walked out.

Peter was fighting with one of the men who were in the camp using a dagger. The man was tall with golden-brown skin and an extremely muscular body. He was wearing a pair of animal-skin pants and moccasins and he had a black, swirling tattoo on his right shoulder. 

He was excellent fighter and it was something really fascinating and beautiful to watch. His style of combat was smooth and graceful, but also rough and tribal at the same time, using brute force at times. It was an interesting match to watch but it was over quickly because Peter took him down with ease.

Then in the middle of the brawl, I heard someone cry out and everyone froze where they were. Tubby had some kid by the scruff of his collar, the twins were in the middle of tackling an Indian with a basket of apples, Finn and Curly were playing tug-of-war with one of the tribe's dogs, Jax was being tackled by a kid with a big stick in his hand, and Peter was frozen mid-air with a look of shock on his face. It would have been absolutely hilarious to see if there wasn't some girl holding a knife to Pudge's throat with an angry expression on her face.