Chapter 29

Memories from Marceline's childhood replayed in her mind as she stared at the tall fir trees. She remembered when she would visit her uncle in Oregon. He lived in Winchester Bay which was a little town off the coast. There was a boardwalk near the bay that had an arcade, a really good burger joint, and a few little shops here and there. The forest was the best place because of how many big trees there were. All of those trees had low and steady limbs that Marceline would climb up and find squirrels or a few raccoons. She even found a pair of white doves on a thin branch before. Her uncle would always watch her every summer and was like her second dad. He was still young and didn't have a lot of money. He had enough for food and a nice house in the woods but that was about it. The woods covered his whole backyard though, Marceline would always run and play in the woods. She found a baby fox when she was walking near some old tree stumps. The best place was a place called Sandy Point, a little hill that used to be a drive-in movie place. But after the sixties it closed down, so teenagers and kids would hang out up there during the summer. Marceline closed her eyes and imagined she was a little kid again, sitting on the boardwalk with her uncle, eating a burger. Of course, however, her uncle moved back to Ireland after the death of Marceline's parents. That was what crushed a part of her childhood, the pleasant memories of going back to her old town and visiting her uncle. She'd grown up on the bay for seven years, she'd moved there when she was only two. But she missed every second of it. Not to mention, she'd met Isaac there, and they've been friends ever since. 

"Hey Marcy," Ivy said, sitting next to her. "Oh hey Ivy, what's up?" Marceline asked. "Nothin, but Isaac went walking and he found a small diner. He gathered up his money to go get some food. Wanna come with me to sit in some air conditioning?" Ivy asked. Marceline shrugged, "It's better than nothing I guess." They both walked out of the forest and saw that Isaac and Jeff were already there. Both were sitting on the sidewalk playing with a deck of cards that Isaac had in his bag. 

"Hey ladies," Jeff said, taking a sip of Coke from a small light blue and white striped cup. "Hey Jeff, where's Samuel and C.J.?" Marceline asked. "Samuel is ordering his food and C.J. is in the bathroom," Isaac said, sitting on the sidewalk. "I'm gonna go get some food, Marcy you come with me," Ivy said, grabbing Marceline's hand. Marceline shrugged and followed Ivy inside the small diner. The diner was nice, it was very retro looking as well. The booths were blue with white lining, with white tables surrounded by a metal rim. The walls were painted pastel colors, two walls were off-white, the wall near the front register was pastel pink, and the wall facing the doorway was light blue. There were four large windows, each looked like an old passenger train car's windows. Long white panels with yellow laced curtains above the glass. The front counter was white with little blue and grey specks in the designs. Along with the six matching stools that looked to be made in the 70's. "This place is neato," Ivy said as she looked around. Marceline nodded, "Yeah, I need to change clothes though, be right back." Ivy followed Marceline saying, "I need to, too. My shirt smells like sweat and dirt." "I have deodorant if you need some, and thicker shirts if you get cold," Marceline said as they walked into the girls bathroom. 

The bathroom was one of those two stall bathrooms, with two sinks, one with a missing handle for the cold water, and the towel dispenser was low on paper towels, and the plastic covering was cracked open. Almost as if somebody was in need of a paper towel that bad. Marceline quickly changed into a light grey shirt that quoted "Nevermore" from Edgar Allen Poe's poem "The Raven." complete with a raven under the quote. And she changed into a pair of dark green and white striped pants that ended at the ankle, but were high-waisted. Her shoes were the same boots from before since it was getting colder and Marceline didn't want to have cold feet the rest of their time in Germany. Ivy however just put on a yellow sweatshirt that had the band The Beatles on the front, with sweatpants and sneakers. She was still cold however, because her sweatshirt was designed to have tears and holes in it, almost like she had gotten it at a thrift store, which she did.