[21]: Short-Lived Getaway

As soon as we raced out the wide back doors of the pack house, I couldn't feel any more relieved. Julian laughs and whoops in mirth ahead of me. I laugh along with his playful antics.

"Hurry up, Dest!" He urges me as he bounces around to the forest edge.

"I'm coming!" I assure him as we make it at last. The forest wasn't that far from the pack house to begin with.

I turn to look back at the pack house as Julian flexes in his wolf form under me. The sight of Nina looking in our direction with a smirk on her face threw me off.

What's she smirking for? I snarl not liking her from the past time we met. The way she was all over Ian at the dinner party. Even Payton admitting that that slut had a past with my mate disgusts me. And I'd bet she shares my mutual feeling of hatred. That's why I can't settle my gut feeling that she's bad news.

Before I can open my mouth to shout what the hell she wants, Julian takes off. His wolf seems to be familiar with the land as he dodged trees and ran like he could go on forever. The ripple of his muscles under me felt reverberating and full of energy.

A light giggle morphs into a full out cackle as I feel the rush of adrenaline course through my veins. The feeling of riding on the back of a wolf would make anyone feel alive. Thoughts of what ifs about the dangers of falling off or anything of the sort make the experience greater.

It's almost a shame when we finally stop in the middle of a clearing. The scene full of half-dead grass reminding us of the approaching autumn season. Next would be winter, my favorite time of year.

I hop off Julian and he immediately goes to shift. The wait isn't long before he comes out in only the cargo shorts he'd strapped around his ankle. It's not surprising that he's fit since he is a werewolf, but my mind still goes back to Ian and his luscious... Nope, not going there.

"Finally, we get to hang out together future wife," he states, over exaggerating by falling backward with a hand on his heart.

I roll my eyes before releasing my adrenaline with a couple cartwheels and round offs. The exercise only makes me giggle in glee for finally feeling free of stress and drama. Making me forget about Ian and his past lovers, the pack, my mom's depression, dad sending those guys after me, and Jay's mysteriousness. It was all distressing.

"Hey, Dest, what's wrong?" Julian asks laying right down next to me.

I look over at him not remembering when he'd moved. A sigh passes my lips before I stare up at the cloudless sky. "Nothing you would understand."

It's quiet for a moment and I wonder if he even answered. I turn to see him shaking. My eyes immediately widen and I sit up.

"Hey, what's wrong? What did I say?" I try to reach out for him but regret it when he snaps.

"Why are you just like my brother? I don't need protecting! I understand a lot more than everything thinks I do! I'm not some weak little pup that can't fend for himself anymore!" He bursts, glaring at me with his obsidian eyes.

My eyes take the size of saucers. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

"If you don't want to tell me, fine, but I'm not going to let you treat me like a pup just like my brother," he snarls.

I hold my hands up in defense. "Woah, you need to chill. I wasn't even trying to treat you like a pup. We're friends and I wouldn't do that."

"Then why won't you tell me? If I'm your friend then there wouldn't be a problem, right?"

He had me there. But I'm still working on the trust issues thing I got going on. I've only known the guy for like over a month. Could I really trust him?

"You know what, never mind. Hell if I care if you don't," he grumbles, turning on his side away from me.

I groan. "You know. You really sound like a girl right now."

He rolls back over with an appalled look. "I don't!"

"Do you need some Ben&Jerry's so we can talk out our feelings together?" I can't help the smirk as his jaw drops.

He playfully shoves me, trying to hide a grin. A minute later and he's rolling on the floor laughing from trying to lie to himself. It's actually a nice sort of laugh that's contagious.

"So, what is your problem with pushing Ian's buttons?" I'm just curious.

He thinks about it for a while. "I don't know. Ever since we were little, he was always there for me and Darien when our parents were away. It's just... I feel that's the only way he'll know I care."

I look over at him as he stares at the sky, reminiscing about some past memory. It almost feels as if I'm intruding on his special moment or whatever he wants to call this.

Out of nowhere, I lean over and pinch his cheeks, just to get rid of this serious atmosphere. "Ah, that's so cute!"

To say he was shocked would be putting it lightly. By the time he reacted, it probably would have seemed like he'd had a heart attack or something. Such a drama queen.

"Hey! Cut that out, Dest! It hurts!" He whines, swatting away my hands.

I laugh at his reaction. No matter what, he'll still be the confident, goofy best friend that any girl could ask for.

We continue to steer clear of sore topics for awhile. Instead, we talk about every little thing under the sun. From arguing about which ice cream flavor is the best to which animal could win in a fight. Just random stuff that kept our minds off the real world beyond our little clearing. It was a nice getaway.

We've been talking for hours until one thing Julian brought up made me freeze completely.

"Dest, what were you really doing at that lake without Ian's knowledge?" Of course it was just out of curiosity that he would ask because I left him hanging then. If I wanted to work on my trust issues, I had to start somewhere.

However, as I look at Julian's wide eyes looking at me in curiosity, I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth. It still didn't make sense in my head of what happened, so speaking it aloud to somebody just didn't feel right.

"I-" Before I could manage to tell him a lie, something wet plopped onto my cheek. I looked up and noticed the dark rain clouds forming over our heads. Moments later, more droplets started pouring down and soon enough they were starting to soak our hair and clothes.

Julian ended up laughing at my drenched appearance and I laughed in return. We didn't have much time to bask in each other's wet dog looks before the wind kicked in.

"Yup, time to go now," I stated as my hair started to matt down to my head and clothes got drenched.

Julian agreed and went to shift before letting me climb on his back. Before I knew it, he was zooming off through the forest like a blur. The adrenaline rush was back and my stomach clenched in excitement at the feeling of flying. Julian's speed was almost featherweight against the forest floor.

In only moments, we were back to the pack house, safe and sound. I would have admired the smell of the cool rain and the way it made the pack house seem even more beautiful if it wasn't for the furious yet strikingly beautiful man standing before us. And I knew neither Julian or I would be getting away with our short getaway scott-free.