[19]: Coffee

"So, has my brother tried to, I don't know, have a little rendezvous with you yet?" Payton quizzes trying so hard to hide the twitch at the corner of her lips.

I gasp, practically scolding my tongue with the steaming beverage treat in my hands. The look I give her only causes her to laugh at my embarrassing reaction, knowing fully well that I was in the possession of a scorching liquid. It was still fresh a little fresh from the brewer and needed some time to cool properly.

We made it to this small, quaint café an hour-drive away from the pack house in the nearest town. It wasn't too quiet or loud, and it held enough patrons so that the hum of conversation floating in the tiny space allowed for no one to overhear her blunt comments. If that wasn't embarrassing enough, Payton had asked me that question right when another patron walked by. They stared as if we were mental before scurrying back to their table.

"Oh crab-cakes, why must I be the one punished?" I slammed my head into my folded arms, hiding my evident embarrassment as she guffawed at me.

"Oh love, you are just the most adorable thing I have ever met," Payton crooned while sipping on her green tea.

I lift my head to stare at her with a raises brow. "Did you just call me a thing?"

She waved off my question, rolling her eyes. "It was only a compliment, love. No need to get fussy."

I groan and focus on cooling down my coffee for the next couple of silent minutes. They didn't last very long before Payton was opening her ruby-painted lips to utter the last words I wanted to hear.

"So, how did you meet my brother?"

That question caught me way off-guard because she was just teasing me not too long ago. If I told her how I ended up in front of her brother's truck, that would lead to questioning of why I was there in the first place. Heck, I wasn't just about to spill my whole life story to somebody I hardly know. It doesn't even matter that she's my mate's sister. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

I look up at her and engage in a staring contest. Her hazel eyes that almost resembled her brother's in every aspect seemed to almost look through me. It felt like she was searching my soul for the answers to her spoken question and the unspoken ones that would've surely followed.

"I'm going to be your sister, wether you like it or not," Payton started with a hidden ferocity as she kept her hold on me. "It's either you tell me what's going on now or I find out my way. You're choice."

With that she leaned back and sipped her tea, leaving me to decide the next move. I stared at her, searching, looking for anything that would tell me she had any bad intentions for me. I was already kidnapped once and it didn't matter who they were, but someone must have given away my location. They couldn't have found me by themselves because I made sure to hide my tracks well.

It didn't matter that Payton was my mate's sister, she could also be a rat. I didn't know her and she didn't know me, but something about her bright personality but strong backbone distressed me. She has a life of her own, and who knows what she could be doing with it. Nobody. Probably not even her brother if she's going against the pack.

I shake my thoughts. I'm going crazy. Payton, this flamboyant woman who didn't care about others knowing she's gay and the fact that she wasn't afraid to speak her mind, couldn't possibly be a traitor. She seemed too sweet and friendly, also a little carefree, to be out for me. Even the way she flirted with me in front of Ian and forced me to have 'bonding time' proved she has no ill thoughts. She's just charismatic and an all-around nice person. I cursed myself for thinking otherwise.

I sigh before finally satisfying my dry throat with the warm beverage in my hands. "I'm sorry if I'm ruining this 'bonding time'. It's just that I can't help but feel a little uneasy seeing as how I was almost successfully kidnapped not too far back."