[8]: Heat

Somehow, after many future arrangements with the bubbly Peyton, I managed to slip away from them and explore the party in my honor more thoroughly. Everyone dressed in amazing dresses and tuxes along with the adorable little children giggling and dancing around to the faint music playing.

"Pretty lady," exclaims one familiar voice that seems like one of the only anchors to my stay here.
I turn and open my arms for my little boyfriend to leap inside. "Dylan! You look so handsome."

He blushes and hides his face in my hair as I giggle at him. This little Casanova was just too cute to ignore. I'm surprised the children's parents even let them stay out this late.
"Darlin', where are you?"

I turn with Dylan on my hip to spot Ian heading our way with a displeased look. Like I care that he's upset over the fact that I wanted to meet people by myself.

He goes to say something but notices the child on my hip and a gleam crosses his eyes before it's gone in the next second. A cold glare reappears as he stares at Dylan clinging to me. "What are you doing with someone else's child on your hip?"

My eyes narrow at his question. "What do you mean someone else's child? Of course it's not going to be mine since I don't have one. And I would really appreciate if you weren't scaring him with your glare like this innocent baby has done anything wrong to you."

He growls. "Don't test my patience, darlin'. Put the child down and come so we can start dinner."

I roll my eyes and place Dylan down with a kiss on top of his chocolate curls. When I straighten up, Ian tugs me right into his side.

"Hey, if you make my girlfriend cry again I will kick you, Alpha," Dylan threatens with a cute glare no one could take seriously.

I laugh airily as his dad comes in for the rescue and apologizes for his behavior then dashes off before Ian drags me to the head of the table. Just as we sit down, everyone finds there seats and waits for Ian, who stays standing and holding up his glass catching everyone's attention.

"Everyone, we are gathered here tonight to welcome the arrival of a very important asset to our way of life. Some have thought that I wouldn't find this person and I have brought them here tonight to prove them, including myself, wrong. Please welcome the woman who will forever be known as our Luna and my mate, Destiney," he announces with such power and authority. Everyone applauds, some more enthusiastically than others.
"Now, let the dinner begin," he states and servants come in with mouth-watering foods served on silver platters giving the air a deliciously savory scent.

We all eat and chat amongst ourselves, me smiling and laughing with some of the pack members that dared to interact with me while Ian only spoke in hushed whispers to his Beta Blaine. The whole dinner spent just with pack members getting to know me and ask how we met with me slyly coming at Ian by saying, "It all started with a man that doesn't know a deer from his own mate", earning lots of laughs and a glare from Ian. Once done, Ian decided to dismiss everyone to their homes as the children were falling asleep where they stood, Dylan especially.

"Come, darlin', so we can manage a little sleep," Ian orders as he pulls me out of my seat and away from the dining hall all the way up to his bedroom. "Just so you don't get any funny ideas while you pretend to sleep, I have guards patrolling all hours of the day and they are highly trained to know where everyone is at, especially their Luna," he informed me, making sure to emphasize the last bit.

I roll my eyes and take the shirt he handed me before changing in the bathroom.

Pervert, I thought as I realized the shirt he handed me only covered the bottom of my butt. He ain't slick.