A Month To Live (38)

Friday. Five days left.

Bradley had taken me to a rose garden on Wednesday where they grew thousands of roses, lots of different colours and varieties. We skipped out on the tour and instead got lost inside the rose maze - still it was fun. And dinner was surprisingly tasty - it had a pretty fancy restaurant in a giant glass green house. I never really considered rich people food to be all that nice but the chicken was definitely in my top ten meals of all time.

On Thursday, he brought me to another outdoor place. It was hard to describe but he made it sound like a kind of crossing point for a few of the local rivers. It was a huge lake and on one side was a large deck with free to use chairs and benches that you could just chill on. Some people had brought along their own barbecue and generously started handing out hotdogs and beers, the latter of which I avoided. We ended up hanging out there all evening by the water. It was pretty cool, especially when some guy pulled out his guitar and started belting out old classics.

Today was going to be our last day of sightseeing as I Iiked to call it. It was also the day we'd chosen to skip out on school so I was in a particularly good mood when I woke up. No headache today too. I'd gone to sleep with one and was glad it had gone for now.

I took a quick shower and blow dried my hair as I hummed to myself. I had a song stuck in my head from last night but couldn't quite think of the name of it. The guy had been playing acoustic versions of some pop songs, it made them sound ten times better in my opinion.

I ended up wearing some casual clothes as Bradley advised we weren't going anywhere fancy - his words, not mine. After dusting on a bit of concealer to cover the dark circles under my eyes, I flicked on a little mascara and let out a yawn.

I was ready a little earlier I had to be so I grabbed some toast and had a coffee. By the time I was done, I heard a knock at the door.

'Oh, hi,' I said in surprise, looking up at Bradley. 'You rarely knock,' I added, moving aside so he could come inside.

'Thought I would today,' he smiled as I closed the door behind him. 'You look nice.'

'Thanks,' I said, trailing my eyes down his back before he turned and leaned against the door frame of the kitchen.

And he looked pretty hot in that black t-shirt. My brain was struggling to think of a way to compliment him without sounding like I wanted to jump his bones. In the end I gave up.

'So... another long drive ahead?' I asked, brushing past him and heading back into the kitchen.

I washed up my coffee mug as I waited for him to respond.

'Er three hours,' he replied hesitantly.

'Better be worth it,' I said, letting out a low whistle and turning the tap off.

'I hope it will be,' he said, prying the mug from my fingers and drying it up with the towel.

'Thanks,' I smiled, taking back the now dry mug from him. I reached up to the overhead cupboard and returned it to its home. 'I suppose we should get a move on,' I mused. 'Do I need to bring anything?'

'You got matches?' he asked after a moment.

'I took some from Tommy the other day,' I said, gesturing to the glass I'd throw them in.

'Might need them.'

'I don't have a box to light them off though,' I added, tipping them into my palm. He took them from me and tucked them away in his jeans pocket.

'We'll manage. Come on.'

I followed him out to his car and settled down comfortably, preparing myself for the long ride.