A Month To Live (2)

I got up the next morning with the sun shining through the window. Some people would welcome a beautiful day... but to be honest if you only gotten a few hours sleep and a massive light was blasting a hole in your face you'd be pissed off too. Even Spongebob would be unhappy and he's the jolliest guy alive. Okay he's techinally a sponge... and a made-up character. Coherence is not on my list of priorities this early in the morning though.

I groaned as I crawled out of bed and glanced at the time wearily. 10:35. Huh.

A bit late for my first day of school but never mind! I'll just say I got lost on the way there - which probably will actually happen. I didn't have a great sense of direction, I guess I did inherit that much from my dad.

I did the usual morning routine. Got dressed, ate breakfast, brushed my teeth vigorously with my new toothbrush. Is there anything better than a new toothbrush? Maybe the first sleep in your bed after you've put on a fresh set of sheets and just shaved your legs. Yeah, that's a pretty nice feeling.

I grabbed my backpack, which was pretty much empty seeing as I had no textbooks or anything, and strolled down the stairs of my new apartment. It looked more like a motel than an apartment building if I'm being honest. My door opened directly to the outside world, no porch or anything, and there was a set of concrete stairs that led to the ground. I glanced over at the apartment next to mine and saw the curtains were tightly closed.

I scowled ever so slightly. There's an example of a lucky person: they didn't have to get up early to go to a crappy high school.

It's definitely illegal to force me to go to high school when I'm eighteen! Do I really look like I'm a drug dealer or something? Maybe I'll just go for a day or two and see what the people are like. They couldn't be worse than my 'friends' back home. Even if they were, I could just bail and use the apartment as a home base while I explored for the next few weeks. I guess the cops wouldn't care enough to check up on me.

Might be good to find some people my age and get some recommendations on places to go too. Yeah, screw it, I'd go for a while. School couldn't be that bad compared to my old one where everyone avoided me like the plague once they found out about the whole tumour thing.

Once I was buckled in my car, I proceeded to drive around blindly for half an hour until I found the high school in question. I was a little stubborn and refused to use the maps on my phone. This happened often - my sense of direction was rather poor but I enjoyed the challenge.

I drove in the same circle about three times before finally noticing a tiny sign pointing out the direction to the high school. It's like they didn't want anyone to attend! A damn bush was covering half of the sign.

The first thing I noticed as I approached was the tall iron fence that surrounded the whole place. The fence was a bit silly to be honest. I don't get why it was necessary, I mean it's not like we're near a military base or anything. My old high school had one too but I always thought it was a little over the top - there aren't that many creepers about. Plus they made everyone carry those student identification cards. In my old school they even made you wear them around your neck and you'd get a detention if you forgot your card.

I parked my car near the gates in one of the few spots left and slammed the door behind me. My doors were a bit stiff... It was on my to do list before the diagnosis but I guess it's irrelevant now. No point splashing out five hundred bucks for some guy to tap his chin and do a couple of twists with a screw driver. I don't think the car was even worth a hundred dollars anymore, it was so beat up. Guess it didn't matter, I wouldn't need it for long, would I?

I didn't mind parking near the gates, it meant a fast getaway (if needed) and anyway stupid kids wouldn't be able to scratch or mark it. Hey, my car might be a piece of shit, but it was my piece of shit and I loved it. God that annoyed me lately. I guess I'd be noticing a lot of negative things the past couple weeks about other people. Always squealing and rushing about, humans are such a disrespectful race.