A Month To Live (32)

Friday flew by so quickly that I barely remembered it. The teachers gave us all ton of homework which I had no intention of completing. Remi, at least, signed up for a maths tutor so Bradley and I wouldn't have to tear our hair out trying to help her. I did spare a moment of pity for the poor sucker who ended up with her though.

'Kind of sad isn't it?' Bradley asked mockingly as we left the detention room for the final time. Well, hopefully the final time.

'You can call it that if you want, but you'd be speaking for yourself,' I snorted.

We spent our Friday night with the others at George's place. His mom was so welcoming and chill - I could see where George got some of his personality from. Bradley dropped me home at a reasonable time for once, telling me that I had to get an early night. Although that didn't happen and I ended up doing laundry until the early hours of the morning. With him there, though, it seemed to be a less tedious chore.

When I woke on Saturday morning, I opened up the calendar on my phone and let out a low sigh.

Twelve days left.

I hopped out of bed before I could end up in a miserable spiral of thoughts, and went for a shower. It was still pretty early and I was grumbling to myself as I wrapped the towel around my waist. Then I realised I didn't even know what I should wear. Where the hell were we going? Why hadn't I asked Bradley about this last night? Usually I never stopped quizzing the guy.

I wrapped the towel tighter around myself and retrieved my phone, dialling Bradley's number as I squeezed toothpaste out onto the brush.

'What're we doing?' I asked the second he answered.

'You're not supposed to ask, remember,' I heard him laugh.

'But I don't know what to wear!'

'Raegan, you don't have to impress me,' he said. I was pretty sure he was smirking but unfortunately, as he was a few miles away, I couldn't hit him. I settled for violently putting the tube of toothpaste back in the glass.

'You know I'd hit you if I were there right now,' I grumbled.

'I know.'

'Shut up,' I complained. 'What do I wear?'

'You need swimming stuff,' he said reluctantly.

'We're going swimming?' I asked. 'I don't have a swim suit.'

'Borrow one off Remi,' he suggested.

'How am I supposed to do that, she's at Kyle's isn't she?' I asked.

'Nah, she came back earlier, besides she's coming too,' he added.

'Remi's coming?' I said in surprise. 'Is this a group thing?'

'Disappointed?' he asked. He was definitely grinning now.

'Idiot,' I muttered into the speaker. 'Did they keep this from me all week?'

'Not all week, just since Thursday,' he replied. I heard Remi talking from the other end of the line. 'No, George said he'd pick up Tara,' he replied to her.

'Ask her about a swimsuit,' I said, starting to brush my teeth.

'Yeah, she'll give you one,' Bradley confirmed after asking. 'I'll pick you up in about half an hour.'

'See you then,' I replied, pausing just long enough in my brushing to answer.

'Bye,' he laughed, hanging up.

I glanced out the window when I was done and saw the sun beaming across the blue sky. Definitely swimming weather. I rooted through my drawers before finally settling on some denim shorts and tank top. After a moment of thought I also stuffed one of Bradley's hoodys into my bag for good measure.