A Month To Live (33)

'If I've told you once I've told you a million times!' a high pitched voice exclaimed as we approached the hallway.

'Sorry, Susan but having salt by the front door takes a lot of effort, ya know?' Remi replied with a loud sigh.

'No it doesn't. All you have to do is not step in it. You're allowing a whole world of unearthly creatures into your home without this kind of protection,' she replied with a tut.

I couldn't tell if she was joking or not and I looked over at Kyle with a panicked expression. He widened his eyes at me.

'Don't worry, she'll calm down. She's probably just over excited,' Bradley said, pushing the door open

'Like puppy excited or psychopath excited?' I mumbled to Kyle who snorted with laughter.

'Bradley!' the voice exclaimed, making me wince. She had the kind of tone which rang around in your head for a while after like an echo. 'How're you sweetheart?'

I blinked when I stepped into the hallway behind him and caught sight of her for the first time. She certainly had no issue expressing herself. She kind of looked like an explosion in the Skittles factory. All bright colours and patterns. Her blonde hair hung in dreads behind her back and she had a blue pendant around her neck which reminded me of an eye. I couldn't quite place it but knew I'd seen it before somewhere.

'Holy fuck,' I heard Kyle mutter behind me. I sent my elbow back into his stomach to shut him up. We shouldn't judge on appearances of course.

'Fine, Suze, what about yourself?' Bradley replied as he walked forward and gave her a hug

'Excellent. Excited for the book tour I'm going on. The author's a good friend of mine. Really knows his stuff. Had to leave Pooch at home, he's really not doing so well,' she babbled away.

'Pooch is her dog,' Bradley said, glancing back at me and Kyle with an amused look at our facial expressions.

'And who are these two lovelies?' she said, beaming over at us suddenly.

'This is Raegan, she moved here a couple weeks ago, and that's Kyle, Remi's boyfriend,' Bradley said.

'Hopefully your only current boyfriend, Remi,' she laughed.

'Of course,' Remi scowled.

'Well it's lovely to meet you both, I'd shake your hands but you know it's bad luck to do that on the threshold of a house,' she said. No I certainly didn't know that. I struggled to come up with a reply for a moment and caught Bradley smirking at me from behind her. 'Where's your father?' Susan said, thankfully saving us from coming up with a response.

'In the kitchen, I think,' Remi said. 'He tried to make dinner...'

'And it went wrong I'm sure,' Susan nodded with a sigh. 'I'll go see him.'

'Do you have any bags?' Bradley asked.

'They're on the porch, dear, don't worry about them now,' she said, patting his arm before heading off towards the kitchen

'I've just remembered I have plans,' Kyle said swiftly, heading to the door. 'Raegan you have some too, right? That, er band practice we were supposed to go to?'

I laughed at his reaction and shook off my surprise.

'She seems okay, just kind of...' I trailed off.

'Superstitious,' Remi snorted. 'She reminded me to leave acorns on the windowsill as there's a storm coming.'

'Acorns at the window...?' Kyle asked, mirroring my utter confusion.