A Month To Live (6)

When the alarm went off the next morning, I made the mistake of throwing it under my bed so that the batteries fell out, therefore deactivating the snooze button. It was a bad move, a very, very bad move. Usually, I would care but today I wasn't driving myself to school so I had to be on time.

'Hurry up! I don't want to get a tardy!' shouted Bradley from the car - his stupid rich-boy car. I was totally going to drive that one day. Even if I had to swipe his keys somehow.

'Give me a damn minute!' I screamed in reply, rushing around and grabbing random books to stuff in my bag. Hopefully they were the correct ones for my timetable today. If not... well it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I stumbled towards the door, bag in hand, but turned around hastily, going the kitchen and grabbing a drink of water. I popped a pill into my mouth and chased it down with a swig. They managed to survive the sea-water from last night but they now had a faint salty sea taste.

I'd felt the occasional twinge at the back of my head, signalling an oncoming headache, ever since I'd woken up. Other than that, I didn't show any other symptoms. No nausea or dizziness. Not yet. It would probably be a different story once I ran out of meds.

I dropped the glass into the sink and grabbed my keys off the side before running towards the door. I didn't want to annoy Bradley too much this early in the morning. We still had the whole day ahead of us afterall.

I skidded down the stairs like a little kid on ice skates as I rushed towards the car. I was kind of proud of myself for how fast I'd gotten ready. Bradley's head jerked up from the steering wheel and he rolled his eyes as I clambered in, closing the door behind me hastily.

'Okay, I'm here now drive,' I ordered, yanking my seatbelt into position.

He pulled out of his parking spot and sped down the road without a word as I attempted to organise the mess that was my bag. I flattened the papers as best I could and threw on my sunglasses.

I grimaced when we rode through the school gates, remembering our escapades last night. It was a lot easier than climbing over the fence that was for sure.

He pulled up next to my car and I immediately got out to check on it. You never know when someone will break in just to steal your steering wheel. It had happened to my uncle multiple times. Who knows why? They never seemed to steal anything else.

Steering wheel still intact, we both headed towards the school and I slung my backpack over my shoulder, stifling a yawn.

'You really should get an alarm clock,' Bradley grumbled, yawning in reply to my own.

'I had one, but apparently the batteries were loose,' I replied with gusto. I wasn't going to tell him that it was, in fact, my fault the batteries were loose.

'I'm guessing that had something to do with you,' he said shrewdly. Yeah, this guy already had me pegged.

'Indeed it did,' I admitted, tripping up one of the stairs but managing to catch myself.

'Clumsy,' I heard Bradley mumble to himself with a head shake. I couldn't be bothered to come up with a suitable response so he ended up with a door slamming in his face instead.

I walked over to the reception desk and glanced around, looking for the sign in sheet for late comers. My name would probably be showing up in this baby more than a few times.

While I was locating said book, I heard the door open and close from behind me and Bradley joined me, muttering curses under his breath which were more than likely directed at me.

'Found it,' I said triumphantly, pulling a pen out of a pot that was sitting on the other side of the desk.

I hoped the receptionist woman wasn't going to make an appearence anytime soon. I didn't want to see her drooling all over Bradley and I certainly didn't want to witness him flirting with her ever again. Gross.