A Month To Live (35)

‘You’re late,’ Bradley said, tapping his foot on the pavement in an impatient manner as he watched me approaching.

‘Well, I’m sorry if I got into trouble for not handing homework in because I was with you all weekend!’ I exclaimed as I stopped in front of him with a scowl.

‘You could have mentioned that you had homework and I may have let you free,’ he smirked.

I raised my eyebrow in disbelief. ‘You would never have let me free,’ I said.

‘I might have,’ he smiled.‘But I doubt it,’ he added. ‘Anyway, get your ass in my car so we can get there before dark!’

‘There?’ I quoted.

‘Stop trying to get information out of me, sweetheart,’ he said, unimpressed with my attempt.

‘Fine,’ I grumbled as he tugged open the car door for me like a true gentleman.

‘And how long is this drive exactly?’ I asked him once he had settled in the driver's side and turned on the engine.

‘An hour and a half,’ he said quietly as if he didn't want me to hear.

‘Excuse me?’ I exclaimed.

An hour and a half just to get there? This place had better be good. Although, I doubt it mattered anymore. I'm pretty sure he and I could amuse ourselves pretty much anywhere at this point.

‘It’s worth it!’ he assured me. ‘But you probably won’t be getting any of that homework done tonight.'

‘I’d rather go with you than do homework,’ I snorted. I had no intention of doing said homework regardless. ‘Speaking of poor homework, what day did you say we were skipping school?’ I asked him as he drove out of the school gates and onto the main road.

‘Hmm,’ he murmured as he concentrated on overtaking a truck. ‘Wednesday? If that's okay with you.'

‘That sounds fine,’ I agreed. ‘Can't wait to have a day away from the hellhole.'

‘I don’t see why you hate it so much,’ he laughed.

‘Doesn't interest me anymore,' I shrugged, trying to appear casual.

‘Why?’ he asked.

He glanced over at me when I didn't reply and I briefly met his eyes before he turned back to the road with a frown. He must've realised I wasn't going to answer. I held back a sigh and leaned my head against the cool window. I'd have to tell him everything soon anyway. No point feeling guilty. Not yet.

I must have dozed off during the ride because I jerked up later and when I blinked at the dashboard I could see that a solid hour had passed. I felt sleepier than ever but I forced myself to sit up in my chair and ran my fingers through my hair to tidy it.

‘Did you even try to sleep last night?’ Bradley asked after a few seconds.

I looked past him outside the window and noticed just how flat the area around us was. No hills or slopes in sight. Just a line of forest on his side and bright green fields on my side.

‘I tried,’ I assured him. ‘But that doesn’t mean it worked.' I looked him carefully over and noticed he didn't exactly look well rested either. 'And you?' I prodded.

‘I tried too,’ he said, smiling faintly.

‘Seems I’m passing the insomnia on,’ I smiled guiltily.

‘I didn’t realise you could pass it on,' he snorted. 'We’re about fifteen minutes away,’ he added.

It was funny, sometimes he just knew what I was going to ask. Or do. Maybe we did hang out too much. Didn't seem that way to me though. I barely gave a shit when he wasn't around. It was probably very unhealthy of me to be this dependant on another person for my daily happiness.