A Month To Live (23)

'Okay so this week is all about creating memories,' Bradley said as we sped down the highway. 'And next week I'll take you to a few places that I like - and no they're not old people's homes,' he added, shooting a glare my way.

'I actually wouldn't have thought of that one,' I admitted with a laugh. 'Okay I'm game, so where are we going now?'

'Well, I heard that there was a carnival up in Kingswood,' he said to me, overtaking an agonisingly slow red car.

'Kingswood, Kingswood,' I repeated searching my brain. 'Why does that sound familiar?'

'It was on the news a couple of weeks back because some guy broke the state record for running the fastest mile,' Bradley said.

'Yeah that's it,' I replied, it clicking in my brain. 'I remember because my dad used to work with that guy before he moved to Alaska.'

'Who moved, your dad or the guy?' Bradley frowned.

I laughed and punched him in the arm. 'The guy! He had a snowboarding obsession as I recall. But he moved back here a few months later.'

'I'd like to try snowboarding,' Bradley mused.

'I tried once... I was pretty bad,' I admitted. 'I don't have much balance.'

'Stick to the skiing,' he said with a smirk.

'I kind of suck at that too,' I shrugged.

'Anything you are good at?' he raised his eyebrow.

'I'm good at toasting marshmallows,' I said after a pause.

'I'll keep that in mind,' he laughed.

'I've never been to a carnival before,' I said casually.

He almost crashed in surprise.

'What?' he exclaimed, glancing over at me with disgust on his face. 'You've never been to a carnival?'

'Nope,' I said with a shrug.

'Why the hell not?'

'The opportunity just never came up!'

'That's just... that's weird,' he said, shooting me a look.

'I've been on roller coasters and stuff,' I told him. 'But just never a whole carnival with the floating ducks and cotton candy and crowds of people and flashing lights-'

'Well let's make your first time at a carnival the best one,' he decided.

* * *

'Wow it's big,' I said, looking up at the rollercoaster tracks and flashing lights. Bradley shot me a smirk and I punched his arm, knowing what he was thinking. 'Idiot,' I muttered.

We made our way to the entrance and joined the back of the queue to get our tickets. I could smell the cotton candy and popcorn and my mouth watered in anticipation. Sweet things were a weakness of mine.

'Yeah, it is. Technically it's a theme park,' he said. 'The guy who owns it also has a travelling circus thing so he doesn't open this place all year round. It's a ghost town half the time.'

'That's pretty sad,' I mused. 'Why doesn't he just hire someone else to manage the place?'

'You looking for a job?' Bradley grinned, poking me in the ribs. 'I doubt they hire delinquents. Maybe try applying for his circus instead.'

'Shut up,' I scowled, shoving him away and earning a few looks from the people around us.

'See, you've already won the crowd,' he laughed. 'The circus life would be perfect for you, Raegan.'