A Month To Live - Bradley (11)

'Okay, this is your stop,' I told Raegan, as I pulled up outside her apartment.

'Yeah without your help, I'd have no idea where to get out,' she retorted sarcastically as she leant down to grab her bag. I smirked at the back of her head as she hopped out.

'Make sure you have your keys before I leave. I don't want to receive any whining phone calls from you saying you've lost them again,' I told her with a mock scowl. 'I'd just have to hang up on you,' I lied. I laughed at myself internally, as if I could do that to her.

'Well, you won't be receiving any phone calls from me seeing as you still have my phone!' Raegan pointed out, putting her hands on her hips in annoyance.

Her irritated face really was quite cute. It was half the reason I made it my life goal to annoy her in the first place. That and, well, it was just plain fun to piss her off.

'Oh, yeah,' I said slowly. 'My bad. I think it's in my locker, I'll get it at practice later,' I added.

I'd totally forgotten I'd even confiscated her phone that day as a joke. It must've been in my football locker still. I definitely didn't have it at home or in the car. Weird that she hadn't noticed it earlier. Most people were glued to their phones and couldn't go an hour without checking them. Even I was guilty of that. How could she go so long without the need to contact anyone? Actually... she did run away. And I didn't know what from. Seems like she didn't want to be found. I mentally added it to my list of unanswered questions about her life.

'Yeah you better, I have many calls to make and a tight schedule to stick to,' she teased. 'Thanks for the ride, by the way. And tell Remi thanks for having me over,' she added.

'I don't get a thank you for letting you stay at my house but Remi does?' I asked dropping a fake-hurt tone into my voice.

She shrugged. 'You weren't the one that invited me, amigo. And so, you do not receive the thank you. If anything you should be thanking me, don't you agree?' she said with slight smirk. For a moment I thought she was referring when she found me last night. Oddly, she hadn't brought it up or mentioned it to anyone else. 'I mean I did make you breakfast and all...'

'You got pancake mix all over me and you're expecting me to thank you?' I asked her in disbelief. She nodded. 'Thank you so much Raegan for making me such a delightful breakfast,' I replied in a toneless voice.

She smirked in response before shutting the door and making her way down the short path towards the stairs. I watched her as she left and blinked when I realised that I was staring after her.

'Idiot,' I muttered to myself before pulling away and in the direction of the school.

I wondered why she didn't ask me about last night. I often had dreams about the fire. Remi did too. We hadn't spoken about it for a long while but I knew she sometimes couldn't sleep, especially around the anniversary of mom's death. Or her birthday. Special occasions really. Times when we missed her the most.

It was usually the same dream. Our old house up in flames. Luckily, neither Remi or I had seen the actual fire but we did see the aftermath. The old house was a lot smaller than this one. Mom like to keep a cosy home rather than a spacious empty one. To see it blackened and most of our memories burned was almost as bad as losing mom. We didn't have her or the place she called home anymore. I guess you could say we pretty much lost dad that day too. He was never the same.

I shook my morbid thoughts away as I pulled through the school gates. Well, whatever reason she had, I'm glad she didn't ask about last night. I knew Remi had already told her about our mom's death but I barely spoke about it with anyone. I think the guys had learned to not ask questions.