A Month To Live (12)

Luckily my headache cleared up by the time Bradley dropped me back home. I wasn't sure if it had just passed on its own or whether the pill had finally kicked in but I was relieved all the same.

As I made my way inside, I saw the pile of dust and other crap at the bottom of my stairs again and scowled as I glanced around. No one was in sight. I looked over at my mysterious neighbour's apartment but their car wasn't there and there were no lights on which I could see. I was tempted to go over and peek in the window but realised that was probably going a step too far.

I ended up grabbing the broom and sweeping the pile back over to their side of the path. Maybe I could catch them in the act next time and finally see who lived next to me.

I made my way inside, tossing the broom into the corner carelessly and shutting the door.

I still had the whole day ahead of me but I just didn't have have energy or motivation to go out and do anything. I kind of just wanted to hang out and watch TV all day. I should have stayed with Remi when she asked me to earlier but I was worried my headache would come back and I didn't want her to find out. Bradley knowing was already one too many people.

I threw myself on the sofa and patted my stomach with a frown. I'd eaten far too many pancakes earlier. Bradley had helped finished cooking them and I was surprised to find that he was a very good chef. Yet another talent of his.

I flicked on the news but it was all far too depressing for me to deal with and I ended up changing to a rerun of Friends. I used to watch it on repeat with my mom all the time

I let out a sigh as my thoughts turned to my parents and what they must be going through right now. Here I was relaxing and they were probably at home worrying their asses off about where I was. For all they knew, I could have already dropped dead. I had to call them and explain. I couldn't leave them in the dark and just turn up at the end of the month.

I rolled over on the sofa grumpily, staring at the screen without really seeing anything and began planning what I could say when I finally got my phone back from Bradley.

*   *   *

I was woken by knocking on my front door and sat up with bleary eyes. Crap, I wouldn't sleep tonight now. I stumbled to my feet with a groan and headed towards the door.

Maybe it was the neighbour coming over to complain about the dust pile. If it was, I certainly wasn't in the mood to speak with them right now. I was deep asleep before they knocked.

I whipped open the door speaking at the same time. ‘If you’re here to complain about that pile of dust then I swear I have a few things I would like to sa- oh hey, Bradley,’ I said, my scowl falling off my face as I blinked up at him. 'What're you doing here?' I added, shaking off my surprise at his random appearance.

‘Er, complaining about dust?’ he said with an uncertain grin. I rolled my eyes at him but couldn't help smiling at his confusion. ‘By the way is that the pile you were talking about?’ he asked, making my smile disappear just as quickly as it had arrived.

‘Ah, hell no,’ I muttered. I dodged around Bradley, who put his foot in the door to stop it closing, and grabbed the broom once more. Once I'd returned the dust back to its rightful place, I stomped up the stairs again and dusted my hands.

‘Dare I ask?’ Bradley questioned, looking past my shoulder at the pile.

‘No, I think it would be safer if you didn’t,’ I told him with a deadly serious expression.

‘I came by to bring your phone,’ he said after laughing at me. He fished around in his pocket for a moment before producing my phone and offering it to me. It was like he'd read my mind earlier and knew I needed it back. Or he was just adorably thoughtful.