Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

Harry’s POV

I looked down at her and smiled. Her eyes were filled with wonder as she took in the scene of the fair – one of my favourite places to go when I was younger. She wasn’t the only one excited to be here, I was too. I hadn’t been here for so long; I had the rebellious teenage years where I thought having fun was lame. All the girls I’ve dated have always appreciated a romantic candlelit dinner or a movie. Acacia and I aren’t dating so, its fine. Right? Right.

Maybe she won’t be impressed though; she’ll think it's 'humble' approach, to put it nicely. Maybe she'd rather a fancy club, or restaurant. Personal waiters and chauffers, serving to her every whim. Well, it’s not my fault that the Notebook is one of my favourite movies; I'll never forget the merry go round scene. Not that I’ll admit it or anything.

“This is like a scene from a painting,” Acacia said, the light reflecting off her dark brown eyes. “The coloured lights, the busy stalls and of course the fairy floss,” she pointed. “I love it, Harry.”

“Me too.”

I approached the ticket booth to see an elderly lady sitting inside sorting a large stack of tickets. She turned around to face us, peering over the frame of her glasses.

“Hello dear. Two tickets?” she said. Her voice had that kind-grandma-who-bakes-you-cookies kind of tone.

“Yes, thanks.” I nodded.

“Wait a second,” she paused, looking gobsmacked, “Are you...? No. It couldn’t be.”

“Couldn’t be what?” Acacia asked curiously.

“You look shockingly similar to Harry...what was his last name? Stine? Still?”

“Styles?” I offered.

“Ah, yes! Are you Harry? That lovely young boy who used to come here so often? Why did you stop, we all missed you.”

I nodded awkwardly, avoiding the question knowing that Acacia was staring at me, evidently wondering what she’s talking about.

“Goodness dear, you’ve changed! You’ve turned into a very handsome young man," she said, nodding, "Your girlfriend is very beautiful too of course. You’re a very cute couple I must say.” she added. Out of my peripheral vision, I could see Acacia blushing.

“Uh...we’re not...” I stammered.

She didn't seem to be listening, too busy getting the two tickets (which I paid for, much to the protest of Acacia. Not that this was a first date, but it was always nice to be the gentleman. And they were three dollars each, not like it's a huge dent in the pocket). Acacia had developed a huge interest the scenery apparently, not making eye contact with anyone.

“Have a lovely evening!” the woman finally said, handing us two tickets. We smiled back, before walking away, a silence stilling between us.