Ch. 29

Things were, for the most part, back to normal.

Jennie and Ratchet were the pair that stood with one another and conversed all day, once again. That was what they considered 'normal'.

However, the next few times Ratchet couldn't stay by Jennie's side, reasons differing from having to work on wounded Autobots or leaving for the occasional mission, Jennie didn't take kindly to it. Admittedly, she found her paranoia ridiculous, and she knew that her guardian wouldn't up and leave her at any point in time unless forced. But after what had happened to her over the past few weeks, she was too paranoid to take that into consideration. Being told that her guardian had left her in the hands of agony itself because she had caused him an incalculable loss was something that would plague her mind every time he wasn't at her side. The guilt, the fear, the loneliness, the agony... All of the mental and physical tortures alike had scarred her. She needed Ratchet. After what she had gone through, after what she had endured, and after what her guardian had done to protect her from such pains... He had saved her from the fiery pits of Hell, he had taken her from the one human that could hurt her like no other, he had risked his own life to protect her, he had dedicated his time to her and spent day after day being so much more than a guardian... It was safe to say that she needed him. She needed those securities in her life. She needed a friend like him to keep her going.

So when he left, her anxiety and paranoia often took over, and would remain until he returned to her. At first, it seemed bad to the others, and human and Autobot alike, they went mad to do everything they could to try to comfort her, panicking at the thought. That faded, though. Her anxiety soon became natural, and the others knew how to keep it at bay until Ratchet returned. Gently coaxing her into relaxing was easily adopted into their instincts, and when it happened, it was remedied with patience and care. It died down as time progressed, and only occurred on uncommon occasions. Ratchet and the others took care of her.

With medical care, her wounds slowly got better, but the time it took was exhilarating. The days she spent on the couch were countless. She could hardly even walk with crutches, the pain too great to cope with. If she needed to move somewhere, Ratchet was always the one to carry her, either in his holoform or his 'bot form. Jennie didn't mind so much, but not being able to move drove her insane. Miko, Jack and Rafael brought her movies, video games, and whatever entertainment they could, but her energy was building up and driving her mad. Ratchet put up with it, doing what he could, always multitasking to keep both his patients happy. Optimus was often on the medbay, his nearly fatal wounds still healing. Healing much faster than Jennie, of course. It would only be a week or two for him, before he would return to the field. Jennie would be confined for much longer than that.

And, as previously said, it was costing her her sanity.

"Raaaaaaattcheeeeeet!"

Silence.

"RAAATCHET!"

A long sigh followed. "Primus, Jennie... I know this is hard for you, but could you give me an hour to work, at least?" Ratchet cast an annoyed glance in Jennie's direction.

"Optimus, tell him to come sit with me!" She ignored him, her attention shifting to the Prime, who was sitting on the medical berth, back against the wall and a datapad in servo. He didn't answer immediately, barely able to tear his gaze from whatever he was reading. "Optimus! Tell Ratchet to come sit with me!" Jennie insisted.

It was Optimus' turn to sigh. Slowly, he looked up at Ratchet, his optics bearing a look of defeat. "Ratchet, sit with your charge," he said quietly, before letting his gaze fall back to the datapad.

A look of betrayal crossed Ratchet's face, while Jennie squealed triumphantly. "Come on, Ratch! Chief's orders!" She scooted over the best she could excitedly. "Let's play a video game!"