Ch.9

With Ratchet's voice repaired, Jennie was more joyful than ever; she still followed him everywhere, did everything with him, and rambled non-stop to him, but now, he replied, and even held long conversations with her. He actually respected and cared now... and all Jennie had to do was get kidnapped by Decepticons. She and Ratchet were in the main hangar alone; it was past midnight, and the others had retreated to their own quarters, which is why Jennie had asked why he hadn't. Her guardian merely shrugged and continued working on the monitor. After a while, he'd told her to try to sleep, but, she wanted to stay with him, and refused. Teenagers never listen...

"Did you know that the biggest snake ever recorded was twenty eight feet long? Isn't that insane? One of the neighbors had a snake. It was small though. Could you imagine a snake that big? Snakes give me the creeps!" Jennie rambled, sitting next to the keyboard and gazing up at Ratchet, who was rolling his optics.

"I'm sure that's big, for an Earth animal," he muttered, not looking up from his work. "But if you want to see big, the original inhabitants that walked on Cybertron, the predacons."

"Predacons? What did they look like?" His charge tilted her head. "Were they anything like you, appearance-wise?"

"No, nothing like us..." Ratchet shook his helm, typing swiftly on the keyboard and pulling up a few images, and gesturing to them. "They had much, much different builds... most walked on four feet. Some flew. They were the ultimate predators."

Jennie stared in awe at the pictures. "Woah... that one looks like some weird cyber-dragon, or gryphon, or something! They look cool!" She grinned at Ratchet. "So they were like... dinosaurs to you guys. That's awesome!"

"... I guess," Ratchet cracked a small smile, leaving the images and returning to what he'd been working on. He sent her a knowing look when she yawned, sighing. "Jennie, you should be asleep," he chastised softly. "Go lay down..."

"I wanna stay with you... don't you need sleep? C'mon, you probably need it more than I do!" She protested, crossing her arms stubbornly. "I'll go to sleep when you do."

Ratchet opened his mouth to argue, but stopped, considering for a moment. He backed down, nodding. "Alright, Jennie. I'll go if you do. Deal?" His charge nodded, walking over to the couch, which was made into a makeshift bed with a blanket and a pillow. "Good. I'll see you in the morning, alright?"

"Yep! Goodnight, Ratch." Jennie smiled, sitting on the couch, watching him as he turned and left the room, heading down the halls. Once he was gone she changed into a tank top and a pair of shorts- Miko let her borrow some clothes, and had even bought some more for her- and laid down on the couch. Ratchet had turned off the lights when he left, but the monitors offered some light, which cast over the floor in a soft green light. Jennie laid there for about five minutes, staring at the ceiling, now slowing down to think for a while. Her memory recalled her father for a few moments, and the abuse she'd gone through. Then it shifted to the Autobots, how welcoming they had been, and then to Ratchet, who was now her best friend. He was everything she needed in what she was going through... he protected her, and cared about her... Her own blood kin never seemed to want to do either of those things. Now she had someone that did. It took a bit longer for Jennie to realize she was lonely, all alone in the huge room... she didn't have to be, though. Jennie gathered up the blanket and pillow and made her way to Ratchet's room.

The room was dark, and Ratchet was laying on his berth, covered in a large blanket. Jennie trotted over, and called his name quietly. "Ratch?" He opened his optics, which glowed in the dark, and sat up, looking at her.

"Jennie...? Shouldn't you be asleep?" He asked, raising an optic ridge, yet she couldn't see it in the dark.

Jennie grinned. "I wanna sleep with you!" He sent her baffled look. "Wait, not like that, I just wanna have a sleepover with you! Like besties!" Her cheeks grew a little hot.

"Er... Jennie..." Ratchet began, but stopped, noticing her enthusiastic smile and caving. "Um... alright, but I can't promise you'll be very comfortable..." She waved a hand dismissively.

"Whatever... just help me up!"

Ratchet gently picked her up and placed her near where his helm rested, waiting for her to get situated before laying down himself and pulling the blanket up to his shoulders. Jennie moved her stuff close to him and got comfortable. "Thanks Ratch." She smiled at him warmly. "Your the best."

"Glad you think so." Ratchet replied, watching her. "I'm entirely new at this 'guardian' ordeal... I'm not certain I'm the best at it."

"Your amazing! You protected me from my dad AND Megatron!" Jennie reminded him. "I know you'll protect me... your the best guardian I could ask for."

This brought a soft look to Ratchet's face. "I... perhaps," he murmured, "but it was my fault you were in danger in the first place." Jennie scoffed.

"Are you kidding me? I was the one that wanted to come. It was MY fault... don't blame yourself..." She shook her head and said firmly. "Please, don't blame yourself." Ratchet sent her a reluctant look, to which she replied by leaning over and kissing his cheek, withdrawing almost immediately, blushing madly. She'd acted without thinking, and scolded herself harshly, now not looking at him. Ratchet stared in shock, thankful she couldn't see the light blush on his cheeks, before he managed to regain his senses, and reached over with one servo, nudging her gently.

"Th...Thank you," he said quietly, smiling. "It means a lot to me... that you think that, I mean. Your the most tolerable human I have ever met." Jennie giggled.

"Thanks, Ratch. Goodnight."

"Goodnight... Jennie."