Chapter XXXVI - Date?

~Travis's PoV~

Today's the day! Oh my Enki, today's the day. Oh no, am I even ready? Yes I am! Or am I? Yes, no? Maybe? Ugh.
   I pull myself together, muster some courage, and get up, out of bed and into the shower. It's Friday, the day on the picnic, and 4:30 is approaching at an alarming rate. It is currently about two, so I have some time, but not much. I have to be there earlier than Zane so that I can find a spot and set up the entire thing.
   I can't believe I'm doing this. It's too early, isn't it? Only December of last year was I starting to really like Zane, and I'm already going into this? Well, it has been five months already. But that's still not long!
   I splash cold water on my face.
   Pull yourself together, Trav. You're doing this. You've dated people you know far less than Zane before. Why is this any different?
   I get my clothes picked out, some nice black jeans, gray shoes and my signature forest green hoodie.
   Maybe because you actually like-like that person this time. The others seem more of a spontaneous decision compared to this.
   I comb my hair out, setting it just how I like it. I grab my keys, my fully charged phone and a neatly woven basket and make my way down the stairs to the living room.
   "And where are you going to secret-like?" Dante peers out from around the corner, scaring me half to death.
   "D-Dante! Buddy!" I stammer a little in response to his minor jumpscare.
   "Why do you have a basket with you?" He looks behind me at the wooden carrier I set down on the table.
   "No reason." I lie, but it sounds more of a question since my voice gets higher by the end of the sentence. Dante only crosses his arms and gives my his are-you-sure-about-that look. "Okay, fine, you caught me. The truth is, I am going on a date with... well, with Zane."
   His expression morphs from confused to happy in a record-breaking three seconds.
   "No way!" He giddily cheers.
   "Yes way!" I fire right back, adding to his excitement. "I actually got him to say yes."
   "Good for you, man! I knew you'd realize it soon enough and confront your feelings." He smiled genuinely. "Well, I won't hold you back any longer, but I expect to know what happened after this is over." He points a firm finger at me, like he was a dad about to ground me or lecture me.
   "Okay, okay, I will." I grab the basket from behind me and march over to the door. "Wish me luck." I take a final breath from the safety of my home and open the door, step outside and lock it.
   Next I go over to Aphmau's house, knocking on the door and waiting. In my basket currently, there are only triangle-cut sandwiches and some juice boxes. I went for a fancy but childish theme. I don't entirely know why, but the sandwiches taste fine, so it's all good.
   The door opens and I'm greeted by Aaron. Oh yeah, I forgot he lives here too. I wonder if he knows what is going on.
   He points to the basket in my hands and says simply, "Picnic?"
   "I'm seeming Aphmau told you everything?" I ask.
   "Yep," he nods his head while saying it. "Good luck on that anyways, knowing Zane and all."
   "I'll try my best, see how that goes, and thanks." I thank him for his words and he let's he pass, immediately engulfed by sweet aromas. The scent gets stronger as I get closer to the kitchen. I turn the corner, and I see two short women baking, basically finished.
   "Hey Travis! Come on down to baking town!" Aphmau says, her dark mahogany apron stained with white handprints. I see the four got everywhere.
   "Hello Travis~Kun! We're just finishing up." KC takes a small batch of cupcakes out of the oven. "This is the last one."
   I look around and see that there isn't only one tray, but three.
   "Um, that's a lot of cupcakes..." I trail off, not sure of what to say. I know Zane loves cupcakes, but I highly doubt he'd eat all of those in one sitting.
   Aphmau saw my alarm, and says in a reassuring voice, "Oh, these aren't all yours. It's only this small tray. The rest is for KC and me."
   A sigh of relief escapes my lips. I didn't want overdo this thing. I want to start off with something small, something simple. Not some over-the-top, completely scripted thing.
   "Yeah, you guys get the red velvet ones, which is Zane's favorite, although he doesn't want to admit it because it 'hurts all the other flavors feelings'." Aphmau giggles, and gives me a small plate full of the dark red delights. "Here ya go. We also made some small apple pies. They were all little more difficult to make, so be careful with them." She also hands me a box full of the small, square-shaped pies. I put them both into the basket and thank them thoroughly.
   "Thank you guys so much," I elongate the O to emphasize my point.
   "Good luck, Trav." Both ladies tell me before I head back outside. I'm back, all alone with a basket full of food. Acquired the meal, now to find the perfect spot, and I think I have a good idea where.
   As soon I get to the -- now green -- park, I set myself on a quest to find the spot I found a couple of visits ago. I had stumbled upon it one time and I dubbed it the best date spot in the entire park, at least in my book. I had no idea I'd be using it this soon.
   After a small while, I come across it again still in it's first condition, which was beautiful. It was somewhat closed off by trees and bushes, blocking it from expanding into an open area. That made it have a sense of security to it. Bushes covered either side of a small space, with a huge tree in the back, partially making a wall, although you could still easily cross through it. The 'main entrance' was in the front, and it faced the lake. The body of water kind of leaked very close to said area, so it seemed like a small pond with lily pads just before entering the enclosed area. It was also located around the edges of the park, so that helped with not having much people either.
   It is perfect.
   I begin to lay out the blanket, then putting a softer one on top for some more cushion. I set down the basket full of goodies in the middle, and then step back and admire my work. It's simple, yes, but there's some sort of cozy yet elegant feel to it, and the view itself seems comforting.
    I can't wait until I get Zane here.
   Speak of the devil, my phone buzzes. And who could it be? None other than the other part of this little date. Zane.
   I giggle like a little school girl in front of her first crush. Perhaps I'm a bit too excited and enthusiastic about this. Oh well, hopefully it'll help me act natural. Or make me look like a complete idiot.

Shadowy Nugget: okay, I'm here at the swings. I can't see you... where do I go?

So he's here. Okay, time to get this thing started.
   I leave the basket there, trusting the public enough to not steal it and the blankets. I take a small breath to steady myself as I walk to where Zane is at, as ready as I'll ever be in this. I was never the best on the actual date, I am usually nervous, like now. But with Zane, I'm willing to really take this risk.
   I'll persevere, for him.

Word count: 1347
How's y'all day been? I feel like I haven't been asking enough. Also [and I know I'm late] but thank you so much for over 10k reads. That's a lot of people, omg. But thank you guys nonetheless. I hope you're enjoying the picnic arc bomb so far!
Live, Love, Lapis, hope y'all have a great day or night! Bye my lovely little Gems~!