Chapter XXVI - Dinner

~Travis PoV~

"Then hop on!" I called again, this time filled with more cheer than the last. I could easily see his smirk underneath that dreaded mask of his. I have no idea why he hides his face all the time. He always has it on, other than when Garroth makes him take it off, and even then he's uncomfortable and tries to avoid people looking at his exposed face. I'm only thankful for my mini power of being able to read him face and see if he's happy, mask or not.
With both of our safety belts secured around each of us, because, safety first, I started driving out of Lovers~Lane and into the more urban areas. Earlier today I had decided to take Zane out to Olive Garden. I didn't tell Zane where I was taking him because one, I wanted it to be a surprise, and two, because if for some reason Zane told Aph where we were headed then she'd hide in the car until we get there just so she could have some free bread sticks. She can get so intense when it comes to things like garlic bread sticks. We drove in natural quietness while having the radio turned to a familiar station in the background.
"So, where exactly are we going?" Zane spoke up, after about seven minutes.
"You'll see~." I returned in my most alluring voice. Why I was trying to be alluring, I didn't know, but I didn't stop myself from it. Maybe it's just because of the type of person I am. The crystal blue-eyed male only made a scoffing noise and looked back out the window.
We sat once again in almost silence the whole way through, occasionally pointing out random things of our environment. I parked the car in the parking lot in front of the rather fancy-looking restaurant, and we both got out.
"So, Olive Garden, eh?" Zane cocked an eyebrow as he seemed to examine the place he was about to enter. He stood awkwardly, looking at the place with hesitance.
"Oh, c'mon, you." I grab his wrist and lead him into the restaurant. The second my hand makes contact with his pale skin, I'm overcome with unnatural sensations. My heart pace quickens, and I find myself at a shortness of breath. I can practically feel my face heat up slightly, and the buggy butterflies return to flutter in my stomach. Man, oh man, I've really fallen hard for him. I've only ever felt like this before a couple times, but each time less than the last. I felt this for Katelyn only lightly, but here and now, it seems so intense. "Why'd you stand there like a statue?" I begin to try again at small talk while we make our way to the check-in area.
"Oh, yeah, it's because I remembered one time when I took Aphmau to here, this exact place actually, she threw a fit because the waiter would ignore her practical pleas for more bread sticks. I had to calm her down by manually getting another waiter to get us new bread sticks. Even then, she basically inhaled those poor lumps of baked dough." Zane told, shaking his head at how extreme Aphmau can get, "I, on the other hand, received no bread sticks." He pouted a bit, and I saw how he really did want bread sticks. And who can blame him, those sticks of bread are delectable.
"Well, hey, I'll make sure you get some bread sticks this time, seeing as you didn't have a chance last time." I nudge him jokingly, and, to my surprise, he returns the action with a vague chuckle. We finally get situated. We have a spot next to the tainted glass that reveals outside. I see that it had started to sprinkle ever so slightly. I stiffen, remembering the incident when he was over at my house and it began thundering. His face, the look of terror on his face, was engraved in my mind. I almost had the courage to interrogate him further, but I decided that I didn't want him running off or going quiet.
We both ordered and soon afterwards, the fresh-baked bread appetizers came, and I saw Zane's face light up. I smirked, loving his reaction. He grabbed one after our waiter left and eyed it, hungrily, but soon became aware of something that made him uncomfortable. He, once again, sat, unmoving.
"What's wrong?" I said, as I take a piece as well.
"Well," he nervously tapped the table, making quiet sounds as if a horse was running, "I hardly ever eat in front of people, because of the whole mask situation." He awkwardly pointed to his face, indicating the horrid piece of cloth he wears over his mouth.
"Oh, yeah. That." I rolled my eyes. If the mask was a person I'd despise them completely. I just don't like it, it covers his face. So, I've come to detest the thing entirely. "So why do you wear that thing anyways?" I ask, unumused.
Zane thinks for a while, then responds, "It's something I'm more comfortable with on." He looks to the side, avoiding my glance.
This is my chance, if I really want to know why he's always covering his face.
I built up my courage and continued right interrogate him, "Why?"
"Hm?" He asked, seemingly unsure of what I said. Although, I can tell he heard me, and is just stalling.
"Why are you so comfortable with the mask? I don't see why you need it." There. I said it.
This took him back a bit, and he was staring off into the distance for a little. It's as if he was looking at something so encapturing. It soon got somewhat awkward, something I was trying to avoid, so I stopped glaring at him expectantly. I was even going to say something more to get the conversation going again when he spoke:
"The reason, I've only ever told Aphmau. But, I don't really know why. It's not some huge thing that fuss over." Zane looked down to watch over the bread in his hand, as if something was so intriguing about it. "To put it simply, growing up, I was constantly picked on because of my freckles. So, I just... covered them." He then removed his sight from the bread and looked over at me.
Oh.
I wasn't expecting that.
Okay okay, say something to cheer him up.
"Oh, I didn't know that. I always thought it was some different reason. But, yeah, that sucks." I tried to keep it casual, but my idiot mind decided it'd be a good idea to add, "It's a shame though, you have such a cute face."
Shit shit shit. Why did I say that.
I felt my face start to burn at my Casanova-ish actions. My glance found its way to the -- now very interesting -- floor. I caught a glimpse of Zane's expression, and he wasn't spared either. His face was clearly blushing. We sat in an awkward silence until the food came. And fortunately, that wasn't long. He even brought his mask down slightly to eat, and I tried my best not to stare at his adorable freckles.
While eating, we were both able to regain composure and talk again. The rest of the night went smoothly, with only a few bumps dotted around. It wasn't until we had finished the meal and the check came when there was another small incident.
"So, how was the meal?" The perky waitress asked. Her red hair seemed as bubbly as her personality. Zane and I responded with satisfied nods and compliments about the food.
"Alright let me just take these dishes off your hands," She grunted a little bit as she struggled to carry the heavy dishes, "and I'll be right back with the bill!" Not even the strain of the plates seemed to stop her from being pleasant.
"So, do you want to split the bill?" Zane popped up.
"What? No, I got this I asked you to come with me, and I offered it to be my treat, so I'm paying." I flashed him a cheeky grin.
"Are you sure?" He asked.
"I'm sure, I'm sure." I chuckled at his concern.
"Alrighty! And here is the bill for you two lovebirds! I hope you have a splendid night." The waitress came back with the receipt and bill.
I took it and paid, without noticing what she had called us. But Zane had noticed, and he tried once to correct her, but failed. After the entire transaction happened is when I finally realized what she had said. But it was much too late to actually say anything about it, so I just let it be.
We happily exited the building and went into the car, when I had an amazing idea.

Word count: 1485
Woahh it's been over a month since I've updated. To whoever stuck with me for this long: huzzah! Thank you for not abandoning this book. I will be finishing this book, but I will probably be updating slower. The inspiration went straight downhill after the last chapter, and I just didn't want to write at all. Which, y'know, sucks. Anyways:
Live,
Love,
Lapis,
Keep calm and update on. Bye my awesome Gems! Love y'all!