Chapter XXIII - The Revisit (Pt.2)

~Zane's PoV~

   "Here we are," Garroth interrupts my reverie with his annoyingly gruff voice, "home sweet home." He brings the car keys out of the keyhole and the car stops, neatly parked in front of the old home. Garroth gets out of the car, and stands halfway in it as he gets his things. After he collects his possessions, he motions for me to get off and join him. I groan loudly and melt further into the fabric of the seat.
   I did not want to get up.
   After about two minutes of contemplating - and Garroth pestering me - I slowly open the car door. Outside still clearly has that winter air, crisp and alerting. I drag my feet off of the car and force myself to stand.
   "Okay, good. Now let's go!" Garroth says, pushing the car door closed for me. He clearly wasn't as uneasy and bored as I was. We make our way to the front porch. Garroth rings the doorbell, and I hear that nostalgic sound of the overly-fancy chime. I roll my eyes, a habit I'd do after hearing the bell. I only hated it because when I heard it, and I was closest to the door, I'd have to answer it for someone. Plus, whenever it rang, it was never for me.
   As we waited, I peered around the front lawn. It was still as nicely kept as always. There had been some pretty flowers my mother grew in the front, along with some large toys to play with. Usually, especially when we were very young, the lawn would be littered with metal and plastic toys, ready to be played with. Although, my favorite was a small plastic train and a big, colorful rubber ball. Garroth and Vylad would mostly play with the bigger things such as the jungle gym or even the miniature swing set, while I ventured alone and used my imagination to fight off invisible pirates. But, it wasn't rare when I'd play tag or hide-and-go-seek with my brothers. I was a pretty good hider due to my naturally small frame, but, because of that, I would always get tagged since I had stubby little legs.
   Now, the lawn was barren. No toy or rubber ball in sight. Instead, the lawn had a stone path leading up to the door, and there was a small silver fountain located in one of the broad patches of land. It all seemed so out of place.
   "I'm glad my GarGar and ZuZu could come!" My mother voice cooed. "I was beginning to get worried. Come in, come in! It must be freezing out there."
   It was true. Mid-winter in Washington bore nothing but harsh diseases and cold climates. Just having walked, or more like waddled, through the hard snow made my feet sting with coldness. I was wearing boots. Some days, it wasn't too bad, but today seemed to be an exception. Although there were only a few gray clouds dotted around the horizon, the sun did nothing to warm my being.
   "Your father couldn't make today, sadly." Mom said as she received her hug from Garroth. He'd always do that to greet her. I, on the other hand, didn't want anyone to hug me, not even my own mother. "He has a meeting with another company about signing a business deal."
   Of course he'd try his best to avoid coming to this crickety old house. Sure, it's nice to see the home, but it also a huge waste of time.
   "Hey guys!" My younger brother waltzed into the room, carrying a tray with a few drinks of what I'm assuming is hot chocolate or coffee. "Want some?" He offered, pushing the tray to us. I reject the drink with a simple shake of the head, but my older brother decided for me. The blonde took two glasses and insisted I'd take one. After some annoying shoving of the drink in my face, I take it. It mildly burns into the palm of my hand, and smells of sweet melted chocolate. Curious, I bring it to my lips to take a sip, only to bring it back down because of how burning it is. "Yeah, I forgot to tell you it'd pretty hot," Vylad mumbled sheepishly as he set the tray on the low glass coffee table in the living room.
   "Would've been nice if you told me that before I burnt my tongue," I muttered lowly as I set set the cup to the side, on a small piece of furniture.
   After the string of words I uttered left my mouth, silence swept the room. No one talked, nothing but awkward coughs emerged from the others. I stood, rather stiffly, against the wall as my family tried to decide what to do next without communicating with words. The air felt still. I'll admit, for my family, it was strange to be this quiet and unnatural.
   "So," Vylad started, pulling us all put of the painful silence, "what should we do? The people who used to live here aren't anymore, and I think the landowners are going to take this house down and rebuild a new one." Vylad looked about, face solemn, as if remembering a sad but comforting memory. "This may be the last time we get to be here." He turned his gaze downward.
   Garroth looked genuinely devastated that the house could be replaced for a newer one. I guess he was very attached to the house. I, in all honesty, didn't care if this pile of fire wood was taken down. Too many unpleasant thoughts floated about, recreating scenes in my mind I've tried hard to forget. That one person could make it that much more uncomfortable to be here, though, so I'm at the very least somewhat thankful.
   "Well, I suppose we're just going to have to make the most of it!" My mother cheered, trying to make the best of the apparently bleak situation. Always the shimmer of light in the dark. "You guys think of what to do while I order some pizza." She pulls out her phone and calls the nearest pizza place, ready to make an order. She doesn't even have to ask what we want. She knows. We're her boys.
   I look at my older brother, visible eye pleading. "Do we have to stay here?" I questioned, in a whisper to not let mother know I didn't want to be here.
   "We're going to stay here for the rest of the day, so think of something." He returned, shattering any hope I had. It's not like he'll willingly give me the keys to basically his only way back home. And it's much to freezing cold to try and walk back home. Only a madman would do that.
   I guess I was stuck here, in a home I'd hated, with two dolts, and a wonderful mother.
   Great.

Word count: 1155
Aye hello! New chapter.
Woah we've already broken 3K guys! That's absolutely amazing! You guys can always ask me questions or things like that in the comments. I love getting them and reading them!
Live, Love, Lapis, have a beautiful day / night wherever you are! Bye my awesome Gems~!