Chapter XVIII - The Walk

~Zane's PoV~

   Why did I agree to come to this? Oh right, Aphmau and Travis kept bugging me non-stop to get out of the house since new years.
   The last time I left was when we were being teenagers in the horrid snow-encased prison that was Aphmau and Aaron's house. That wasn't the most enjoyable.
   We were currently walking on the sidewalk, heading to the park. I, naturally, was in the back. The place was covered in snow - upon the trees were layers of untouched, beautifully spread snow. Random mounds of the sugar-like ice were around the bushes and my gusts of breaths created steaming puff-clouds in front of me, swirling through the air. Although the sky was clear and sun was uncovered, someone would be a fool to leave the safety of their warm home without a fairly-heavy coat. The soft and delicate snow crunched beneath every step I took, and the faint but inviting smell of hot chocolate filled my nose. I kept walking, and soon the chocolate smell was replaced by calm vanilla.
   "Why is it that whenever I approach you, you're always alone?" The voice remarked, and I knew it belonged to an all-too-bothersome individual. The emerald-eyed weirdo dork.
   "What do you want, white-haired casanova?" I replied with a gruff tone.
   "Gee, here I was thinking you'd treat your friends differently than how you'd normally treat us." He returned with a playful smirk.
   "Oh right, I have to be friends with you." I shot him a death glare. I was somewhat shocked to see his smirk fade, a frown replacing it. The normal idiotic brightness in his face vanished, and his eyes held the expression of hurt. His arms were now limp in his pockets.
   "Oh." He looked down and to the side, and I felt my heart shoot down to my stomach as a sudden rush of coldness ran through my body.
   "I-" I choked out, unable to speak because of a strange knot in my throat. "I didn't mean...it like that, I-I just-"
   That's when I saw his shoulders jiggling ever so slightly, and small, repressed noises coming from his mouth. I angled myself so I could see his face, and I saw a smile plastered on it. His face was once more annoyingly carefree, and I was kind of relieved to see that. But as soon as I felt relief, I felt anger. And it was pretty boiling.
   "You fucking idiot!" I yelled at him and punched him in the arm. He took his cue and burst into laughter, and my face exploded in warmth. I instantly pulled my mask higher and he had to stop walking to double over in his stupid giggling.
   "Shut up already, it wasn't even that hilarious." He would not stop, until I kept walking, leaving him behind. He noticed this and quickly caught up to me, jogging a bit. He was still grinning, that oaf. I only growled at him.
   "Oh c'mon, you gotta admit, I got you good." He started
   I only gazed to the side.
   "Oh so you're giving me the silent treatment?"
   Silence.
   "Very mature, sir. I thought you hated childish acts."
   Nothing.
   It was not until I heard a sigh and some quiet shuffling. I was about to turn my head back to him when I felt a warm arm over my left shoulder, tracing around my back with a hand resting just above him right hip. I immediately looked back at him, and he acted as if this was normal. Whistling even.
   "Um, what do you think you are doing?" I asked him politely, keeping my emotions down. My heart started to beat slightly faster and my face got just that bit warmer.
   "What?"
   "Don't act like you don't know way you're doing. Why do you have your arm around me?" I raised my eyebrow a little.
   "Oh, that." He said, as if he barely noticed the obvious action between us. Then he smirked. "What, don't you like it?"
   That comment made my heart sink. Because, well, he made a point. I did enjoy having another person being close to me like this, but I didn't like that it was him. I didn't. At all. Maybe.
   "Let me go before I drop-kick you into oblivion." I said, struggling a bit in his grip.
   His smirk grew wider, "You didn't answer my question."
   "No, I don't enjoy this." The words felt strange against my tongue when I spoke them. "Now let me go."
   "Whatever you say, Zaney."
   "Don't call me that." I grumbled.
   "Why not, ZuZu?"
   "Definitely not that either, I get enough of the name with my mom."
   "Cupcake?"
   "What are you even trying to accomplish by doing this?" I asked trying to change the subject. These names were getting a little strange.
   "I want to call you something."
   "Call me by my name, dumbass."
   He pretended to be offended, "Ugh, profanity!" He shifted his gaze. "Well, I just want a name for you, like a nickname. One that I call you."
   "With the names you were saying I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought we were a couple." I lazily tossed the comment.
   "Well, don't normal friends do that? Just call each other by their assigned nickname."
   "You act as if friendship is so strict, with words like 'assigned'." I said.
   "Hey, I'm only saying things like that to help you understand friendship. I know you have a hard time with it."
   I couldn't help but smile under my mask and playfully nudge him with my elbow. "Oh shut up you." I rolled my eyes. He gave a chuckle. I've noticed recently how when he smiles, his whole face lights up, to every little detail, and looks so calm. It's almost if his smile is supposed to be there, forever making his face look so happy.
   "Hello~, Zane~ return to Earth please~." I hear him call.
   "Oh, what?"
   "You were zoned out. Anyways, we're here!" He gestured to the park we were heading to. It was a little winter wonderland. "Beat ya to the swings!" He shouted suddenly as he sprinted to the playground. I shook my head like a normal adult and walked behind him. I wasn't getting on, but I'd at least just be there.
   That walk seemed a lot shorter than usual today...

Word count: 1067
Well! This was the pre-planned chapter I was talking about, in my [now deleted] author's note. There will be one after this, maybe a two-parter.
Oh, and I forgot to ask, any New Year Resolutions? Goals? Feel free to comment those!
Live, Love, Lapis, here comes 2017! Bye my lovely Gems~!