Chapter XXV - Ask

~Zane's PoV~

   I laid on the floor, phone in hand but it wasn't on. I just stared at the ceiling, counting over and over again how many dim light crystals hung from it. The open window let in a small breeze, making the curtain flow along with it. Chirps of birds and faint talking could be heard from outside, with the occasional laugh.
   I hadn't talked to Garroth since yesterday, the day I ran out of the house for no apparent reason. The only time I saw him was when I went downstairs to scourge the area of good chips. We made eye contact for a split second, then I coughed awkwardly and trudged back upstairs. The thing is, what do you say to him in this type of situation? How does one simply start up a conversation without thinking of all the ways you could get interrogated?
   Oh, hey brother. Sorry for losing my cool yesterday and running out into the bitterness of winter. You see, memories of the times my father abused me came flooding back, after I've been trying to repress them for years.
   You don't just casually say that! And it doesn't help that Garroth is a spitting image of our father. The same deep blue eyes and wild blonde mess of hair. The fact that Garroth is taller than me intimidates me; I put up a wall of rudeness to hide my fear of him. Heck, even their voices sound the same. No wonder I seem to hate my older brother. It's not his fault, thought, it's some other blue-eyed, blonde-haired idiot.
   My phone vibrates twice in my hand, indicating I had a new notification. After a tiny moment debating whether or not I should check it, I bring the phone over to my face. The side button makes the screen shine it's way into life, having just above my head. I read the words next to a green and white speech bubble. It's a text. A text from Travis. Without reading the actual text, I unlock my phone and find my way into my messages and my very limited list of people. I tap on the row that says 'Travis."

Travis: hey, wanna go out to eat dinner today? My treat~

   I stare at the words displayed on my screen, processing them. An unfamiliar burst of a swirling feeling blossoms in my mid-section.
   He wants to go out. This is the perfect chance to tease him.

Me: Like a date?

   I send the text before thinking of how he could've taken it. And that's when I start to wonder how he'd react to this, and how many different answers he could give. It shows that he read it, and that familiar grey ball in the corner lights up. It takes a while for it to come up with a text back, stretching my agony further.

Travis: no. Friends do it all the time, unlike you'd know. But, if you'd want it to be a date, I'm not objecting ^^

   Of course he respond like that. I physically shake my head, grinning a tad bit as I do so. He jumps at a chance whenever he has one. But I knew we were only just playing around, although something deep inside stirred against the thought.

Me: of course, always tackling at whatever chance you can get... regular ol' Casanova.

   I kept typing after I sent the last text so we could continue the conversation. I proceeded to ask him about when and where we'd meet up, all that jazz. After getting all the information I need, I hit him with a 'See ya later', and, just to make it clear, I add at the end, 'friend'.
   Although this time I hesitated, for some unknown reason. But after a moment I scoffed at myself and pushed the send button.
   Time to get ready. But I don't want to get up. Ugh, simply the problems of being Zane.
   I push myself upward, finally, and make myself look presentable with my dark mask, some black pants with matching shoes, and a deep burgundy long-sleeved shirt. I hardly ever leave the house with only one layer of clothes covering my upper body, but I hadn't used this shirt in a while, I rather like it. Once I was done, it was only about five; I had agreed to meet Travis outside at six thirty. So I decide to venture downstairs to sneakily fetch my limited pony that Garroth dared to hide in the basement. And I didn't even think to get it when we were down there, for whatever reason.
   I try my best to sneak down the stairs. I don't want to let Garroth know that I'm going because that pony is one of the ways Garroth is making me do this foreign thing that goes by the name of "exercise". As I creep my way down the polished wooden stairs, I hear some muffled giggles and laughs. I'm about halfway down, enough to see to the bottom floor, when I stop dead in my tracks due to the scene in front of me.
   They're... making out, right in the living room, in front of a huge transparent window that leads to the street where all our friends live on.
   I loudly and awkwardly clear my throat, letting them know of my presence, because they seemed far too occupied to notice I was in the same room. They both dart their eyes to me, and immediately fly to opposite ends of the couch, a blush both on their faces. Well, Laurance had more of a pink hue spread across his cheeks, but Garroth was completely flushed. It's apparently a Ro'Meave thing, our mother always told us that we were very blushy boys.
   "Uh, I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to see that." I say, trying to break the silence. The awkwardness was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Most of it emitted from the two lovers on the couch, desperately trying to escape the current situation. I, however, wasn't as fazed as you might think. I don't care who kisses my brother, just don't be overly annoying about it.
   "Of course you weren't supposed to see that!" Hot-headed Laurance jumped in, obviously furious that I saw them.
   "Well, if it bothers you so," I laid a dramatic hand across my forehead, "then you should get a room." And with that, I marched downstairs to retrieve my stuffed horse, and marched back upstairs and in my room, where it is safe. I snuggle my pony while binging more of Steven Universe, although I know I'm not supposed to. The whole group wanted to stay together on each episode, but I wanted to watch more. So I simply ignored their rules.
   My phone buzzed again, and this time, I did read the notification on the home screen. It was Travis, and he was outside, waiting for me. I quickly scramble to grab my phone and such, and stumble back down to ground level.
   Luckily, the couple wasn't there, so I just yelled, "I'm leaving, bye!" I didn't bother with an explanation. If they wondered where I'd gone, they can text me. I open the door, and the first thing I notice is that today seems to be much warmer than yesterday's. Wow, the weather can be bipolar. I turn my head to the left and see Travis in his car, waiting for me. I take a breath and begin walking to him, actually excited he's willing to take me out. Especially today. Normally, after something as big as what happened yesterday, I'd want to stay inside and mope, but today's not the case, strangely. Whatever the reason, I smile behind my face cover and get to Travis.
   "Alright, Zane, ready for today?" A cheery voice calls.
   My grin grows a little wider, and I return with a simple reply.
   "Yes."

Word Count: 1335
Here's the next part! Sorry it took me so long to make, I really have no reason I didn't work on it. But, I actually wanted to talk to y'all about something. So, I was thinking about what I wanted to do after this book is finished (and don't worry, this book is far from done!)
Like, help? Any ideas would be great, and I'm doing this because I want to start thinking of ideas for a new book, so I can plan for it. I really don't think I will have two books in the making, because I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Perhaps I will start the new book when this one is near it's end. (Also, I really don't want to make a sequel of this because I think it'll just ruin this first one) Some of my ideas:

-Finish my spin-off story about MCD
-Make another book about another Aphmau ship (maybe an AU)
-An AU where the MyStreet cast is in a different [fantasy] setting, each with a different power
-A Steven Universe-related book
-A lapidot book
-An original book with some of my own characters

Please, take this into consideration. Thank you! Bye my lovely Gems~!