chapter 28

Matt comes into Owens' office. "Can we talk?"
"Sure. What's this about brother?" Owen said playfully.
"Me and and the guys have been thinking. We don't want to be around here hunting or guarding anymore. It has gotten dull and we've been planning ghis for a couple of weeks now." Matt said trying to put this softly.
Owen let out a sigh. "I don't want you all to leave. The kids love you guys. Make them feel safe. If you want to leave I won't stop you."
"Thank you sir. If you want us we will be in Huntington or Charleston. We are leaving tomorrow morning." Matt doesn't really know what else to say. Doesn't even know what to think.
Owen sucks his teeth. "Ok. Thank you for the notice. I will surely miss you all around here. Help yourself to the water. Im sure you guys got your food from the hunt you went on this morning. Never really expected you all to leave so early. Take a couple of cars from the parkinglot. Id refer taking the trucks."
"Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Fortune to be had in the city. Me and my guys will take two and save you all the rest. I'll see you in the morning. Got some preparations to make."
Nyla is watching the little kids. They are out playing in the parkinglot playing baseball on the far end. Everyone having fun on a nice sunny day.
Hard to believe Matt and his guys cleaned the streets only after one month. For how big this place is it should've atleast taken a little longer.
The only thing this place has as defense is a car blockade of cars they couldn't find the keys to. Some kids sit on top of them looking out for enemies.
Nyla lets out a sigh watching the game. How is this place even functioning? Winfield is isolated from other settlements as far as I can tell. Maybe Matt will let me go with them. Owen isn't going to talk with any other leaders so why stay here? Sure its safe but it wont always be that way. Something don't set right with him. Like he is hiding something. Why is he so relaxed?
Matt came walking out of the school. A sports duffle bag in one hand. Keys in the other. Nyla gets up and follows him to a Ford Dodge Chrysler F-150. He pops the trunk and shoves the bag in.
"Matt, can I come with you? I've decided I want to be a hunter."
"Sure, why not. The more the merrier. What about Ash and your other troops?" Matt closed the trunk.
"I think Ash would like to tag along. She's an action girl. The rest can stay and look after the others. Im sure they'll manage." Looking back at the kids playing the game.
"If you say so. I believe in your girls. Um. Can you help me get ready for the morning."
"Sure. Got nothing better to do."