Chapter 5- FRIDAY FIGHTS...

I pulled my hood over my head and left my house, heading towards our usual fighting spot. It was hidden between a few buildings, with one alley that led to it's opening.

    I walked there quietly, keeping my head facing down towards my black converse. I kept myself focused on my destination, preparing for the fights that I may be faced with tonight.

    Some people may think I'm crazy for doing this every Friday.

    I couldn't stop.

    Fighting was my one and only way to find safety in the world of fear that lives within my mind. It's hard to believe that I would consider fighting as safe. I guess in my experience, safe had a different meaning.

    The only competition I had to fight against with were guys, most of them within the ages of twenty to thirty.

    My opponents all had different reasons to fight, yet the need for cash was their biggest priority. Every round that a fighter wins, they earn cash.

   I had my own reasons, and cash was not my priority here. When I fought, I could lower my walls and tear into my opponents. I could improve my defensive skills and learn new methods for fighting.

     Maybe one day I could protect myself if the time came.

     Fighting wasn't easy though.

     There were many times that I would come home with countless bloody cuts and purple bruises that seemed to stain my skin.

   I used the Saturdays after the fight to rest and heal. By Monday, I was ready to start the week again and practice after school.

  I glance up, taking in the scenery. Loud shouting and grunts that were filled with pain were getting more prominent. I was getting close.

    A shiver of adrenaline ran down my spine and my energy spiked. I took in a deep breath of cool air and exhaled, feeling exhilarated.

    A small smile took over my face as I rounded the corner, Jason and my group coming into view. They stood in a close group, apart from the other large groups of fighters and bystanders that came to take part in Tonight's fight.

     I closed the distance between the group and I, standing next to a very sweaty Jason. He turned and grinned at me.

"Hey Celeste." He sips from a bottle of water, "ready for a round or so?"

He used his arm to wipe off a thin layer of sweat from his forehead.

"Yeah."

  I pulled a stray strand of hair out of my face and smiled. 

  "You win any matches?"

"A few. "

   Jason answered with a smile.

   "I think I'm done for the night though. I'll just watch out for you now."

   I nodded and pulled on my thin black, fingerless gloves. My heart rate accelerated with adrenaline and I smiled at Jason.

"I set you up with an easy win to start you off until others request to fight you. "

    Jason smirks, "After watching your performance they'll all want to fight you."

   Jason padded my shoulder and I turned to the run-down ring in the back of the alley. I pulled the dark hood over my head more in order to keep it secure. My hair is hidden from view in a tight ponytail, and the black vest that I wore doesn't give away any idea of who I may be.