Chapter 26- HURRICANE

Tuesday morning seems to arrive far too early.

   The memories and nightmares that plagued my mind last night, costed me hours of sleep.

   I stash the note from my kidnapper with the notebook of evidence in my closet and I leave my room for school.

   My parents are gathered at the table for breakfast and they push a plate of food in my direction. I take a seat on the table and smile at them when they both greet me.

It's a quiet morning and my kidnapper's note from last night has me on edge.

   I take my seat next to Lucas in class and he smiles at me. I manage to smile back, forcing the note to the back of my memory.

  The teacher enters the room and begins class. Rather than paying attention, I find myself stealing glances at Lucas. His brows raise ever so slightly in concentration while jotting down his notes.

   I try to memorize the little details about him. I take notice of the way his hair falls across his eyes and the way that he brushes it away with his hand. I take notice of his hand as he writes and the way that his veins scatter across his arm in a detailed pattern. I take notice of every rise and fall of his chest when he inhales and exhales.

   I memorize Lucas to the best of my potential. I don't know if I'll ever see him again once I'm gone.

-

   Lucas takes my hand when our class ends and we walk out of the school. We pause briefly when we exit and Lucas smirks at me.

   "How did your English notes turn out?"

   I feel my face redden and I smile, not answering him.

"I could feel your eyes on me the entire time."

  I laugh jokingly at him. "I was just thinking."

  He grins, "About what?"

   "I was thinking about ways that I can easily beat you at practice tonight."

   Lucas smirks. "Looks like I need to do some thinking myself then."

"Scared that I'll beat you?"

  Lucas shakes his head, "Never."

   I laugh softly and I notice my friend Stella walking alone on the sidewalk.

   Lucas grins, "Can I walk you to practice?"

  I tear my gaze away from Stella and find Lucas' bright eyes. "Actually I need to catch up with someone. Mind if I meet you there in an hour?"

   Lucas kisses my forehead and smiles. "Take your time, I'll see you there."

   I wave at him and jog towards Stella, noticing the sets of eyes from my classmates that follow me. People start to look away once I reach Stella. They must be surprised because my sudden changes in behavior.

    She smiles when she notices me and I wave. "Hey Stella."

   She slows down her pace and grins at me. "Hey Celeste!"