Chapter 29- MY DEAREST

The first thing I notice when I try to open my eyes is the darkness that hinders my vision. The room is void of all light and I cannot make anything of the shadows that surround me.

The room stenches of soil and damp mildew, which gives me the feeling that I am somewhere underground. The room is silent except for the paced inhales and exhales of my breath. I move and wince, pain from my injuries in the recent fight and the stiffness in my muscles due to disuse are brought to my attention.

I now take notice of the thick, solid chains that secure my arms behind my back and bind me to a metallic pole in the room. Due to the lack of rust on the chains, I assume that they are new. He must have learned his lesson from my escape the first time.

   I clear my throat and lean my head back against the pole. Memories of the recent events play in the back of my mind over and over on repeat. I just hope that my friends and family will be safe. The evidence that I left for them will hopefully lead them to stop their search for me. I can't bare to see any of them get hurt because of me, that's why I had to return to my kidnapper in the first place.

  The sound of a latch clicking into place somewhere across the room draws me away from my thoughts.

   Speaking of the devil, my kidnapper must be entering the room now.

   I shift my head so that it's facing down and hidden from plain sight. I close my eyes as if I were still asleep.

   I hear the sound of footsteps entering the room as the latch is undone. The sound of a light switch clicking on echoes in the room.

   His footsteps continue to echo in the room as he gets nearer. They stop suddenly and I can practically sense him in front of me.

   He exhales loudly and his hand lifts my chin to face him. My eyes open and for a moment I am blinded by the light.

  "You're awake, my dearest."

   He comes into view, my eyes adjusting to the light. He looks just as creepy as the first time he ripped me away from the world.

His hand traces the side of my face before he runs his fingers through my hair. I tense and clench my jaw, fear settling over the areas of skin he traced.

He kneels in front of me and smiles when our eyes lock.

"I would ask you what you've been up to since our last time together, but I already know. "

He must be referring to Lucas, Jason and all of my training.

He pauses, " It's okay though, everything is in the past. We have a whole future together, my dearest."

I try not to cringe when he mentions a future. I have gotten myself into a big mess this time. If my family and friends are okay in the end, then whatever pain or fear I face will be worth it. I just hope that they will be alright.

    He grins, his eyes scanning my face for emotion. It was as if those dark eyes of his hoped to find fear within my own. His hand cups the side of my face when he speaks once more.

"Say something Celeste." He pauses. "Let me hear your voice."

   His eyes seem to darken when his words are followed by my silence. His jaw clenches and his hand drifts towards the back of my head subtly. His hand tightens on a fistful of my hair and he yanks my head to the side in a matter of seconds.