Chapter 18- STARTING TO BREAK

The next morning after the fight, Lucas walked me home from Jason's. Lucas attempted to start a few conversations, talking about the weather for at least three of the subjects he spoke about. In my opinion, he was running out of things to talk about.

  My thoughts were elsewhere due to the conversation that I had overheard between Lucas and Jason. I felt as if I was balancing on top of a thin railed fence, if I leaned too far one way, I would fall for Jason and Lucas, pulling them into my catastrophic life. Yet, if I leaned too far the other direction, I would force them out of my life forever.

    I just wanted to keep them safe.

    Lucas stopped at my front door, turning to face me.

   "So, I'll see you Monday?"

   I nodded catching a glimpse of a smile on his face. "Yeah. I'll see you then."

    Lucas paused for a second, the silence between us felt suffocating and I kept thinking about everything he had said to Jason the night before.

    Lucas smiled and turned to leave as if he had suddenly forgotten what he was going to say.

  "Have a nice day Celeste..."

      I waved and felt as if I should say something more.

    "Lucas!"

He stopped and turned from the end of my driveway.

      " Thanks for making sure things got figured out after what happened last night."

    He smiled, getting the hint that I was appreciative that he hadn't brought my family into my injuries while fighting and that he had agreed with Jason about not taking me to a hospital. I hated hospitals after I visited one to fix the injuries from the kidnapping.

     "Anything for you Celeste! "

   With a smile, he turned and walked off. I watched for a moment while he became more distant down the road.

    I was brought back to attention when I noticed my mother peeking out of the window shades. When did she get so sneaky about who I hung around with?

     She smiled and waved me in. I returned the gesture and entered the house.

"Good morning! "

She smiled as I shut the door to the house and stood in front of her.

"Good morning..." I answered.

"So, Lucas was here? "

She asked, her smile growing wider.

"Yep."

Her expectant stare seemed to tell me she was hoping for some wonderful story involving Lucas and I. "He just wanted to make sure I got home safely."

She nodded with a smile. "How was your friends house?"

Lucas had told my parents that I was at a friends house in order to not involve them in my injuries. I didn't want them to be concerned.

"It was great! Only a couple people were there and Lucas stopped by in the morning..."

She smiled again. "Great!"

My mother then walked towards the kitchen where she had a breakfast prepared, her feet seemed to skim the ground as if she was filled with joy.