Chapter 2- BASIC SATURDAYS

Chapter 2

Yawning loudly, I sat up in bed. I read the clock on my nightstand to the right. The time was nearly 3:00 a.m. This was pretty usual for me on saturdays, to wake up at such an early time.

Normally nightmares from my kidnapping or the painful bruises from a Friday night fight would cause me to stir from my sleep and awaken. I always get up after awaking myself, not able to fall back asleep and I head downstairs for a glass of water or a fresh bandage for an injury.

My mother would sometimes catch me awake at night and she would sit with me in the kitchen while I attempted to remove the fresh nightmare, or horrific memory from my shattered mind.

I sometimes would wonder how her emotional life was.

    There are not many mothers that I know who could loose their only daughter for a week, finally get her back, then realize how broken and shattered her daughter is from her old self and still remain some-what stable and supportive.

I haven't really told her all that I had gone through, even though I had put her through this much. I know she deserves to know why I wake up screaming and writhing in my sleep, or why I never act like the daughter she's known, but I can't muster up enough courage to tell her.

To think about it, I've put my parents and family through a lot of emotional stress, yet they've still come through for me. I could never ask for a better family.

I haven't said a word to any of my friends and it has almost been as if I had zoned everyone in my world out.

The only thing that I know now is my fighting. It's the one thing that tells me I have a chance to be safe again. It is the one thing that makes me feel alive.

I stood from the table and placed the glass in the sink, passing my mother to get to my room. I watched as her eyes scanned briefly over my bandaged arm. She glanced up at me, our eyes locking.

I haven't told her about my street fighting.

   It's safer for them to not know about my experiences, I don't want them getting involved in this mess. It's like that saying, ignorance is bliss, or something.

She visibly gulped and stared down at her glass of water.

"Good night."

   She softly spoke to me, breaking the silence. Her eyes studied me once more before locking with mine again.

"...and Celeste, I love you."

I offered her a small smile.

   She just wanted me to be happy and I knew that. I don't think I'll truly be happy until my kidnapper isn't lurking around the world, searching for me.

Her attempts to brighten my day, softened me momentarily and I nearly whispered back to her, "I love you too..."

I trailed off at the end but it was enough for her to smile, her eyes brightening before returning her gaze back at the table.

It was probably the most I had said to her in the entire week.

I pulled myself back into my soft bed and feel into a deep slumber - praying that for once, the nightmares wouldn't plague my dreams.

-

It was a typical Monday.

  The weekends are always fast. Monday begin with school, and school also meant human interaction. Something I wanted to avoid.

I haven't been a fan of people since that week of my kidnapping. I had lost most of my hope in humanity.

   Stumbling out of the house, I walked quickly down the sidewalk. It was early spring and the birds were chirping at an annoyingly loud rate. The chirping quieted as if they sensed my arrival and stared in my direction.

   I soon arrived at my school nearly ten minutes later, carrying my pile of books to my locker. I kept watch, making sure to blend with the crowd easily, rather than standing out.

I often stayed in the back of the class room, hiding my face in my texts books. I didn't eat with people in the lunch room and I didn't say a word.

   It was almost as if I didn't exist, or at least that's how I wanted it to be.

When the last bell rang, I stormed out of the school, not giving any one the chance to mumble even a small greeting. I couldn't risk trusting people, not after what had happened.

Only one other good thing came with the shrill ringing of that bell.

     I was going to go to my daily fighting practices.

Fighting was my only escape, my only defense in life. Fighting gave me a sense of safety. Something I don't have much of these days.

I'm sure you can understand why.

_

Hey readers!

  Sorry for the short chapter, I'll try to post again soon. Thank you for your support and reads!