Chapter 22- WATCHING FOR COMETS

Sunlight finds a way into my eyelids and I take notice of the soft voices around me. I avoid the urge to open my eyes when I realize that Lucas' parents are talking about us.

My eyes snap open just as the surface of whatever I was laying on, moves.

My eyes meet Lucas' confused ones as we both sit up. I stretch my neck, noticing that Lucas and I had fallen asleep outside the night before. Nothing like sleeping under the stars...

He yawns and stretches as well.

A cough then brings us back to reality.

Lucas and I meet the amused eyes of his parents who were sitting across from us on the other side of the fire pit. They smile at us and laugh softly.

Lucas's mother speaks up, while preparing breakfast.

" Lovely night last night, did you two sleep alright?"

Lucas' face Flushes and he scratches the back of his neck.

"Yup..." Lucas gives his mother a pointed look and smiles sheepishly.

      His parents continue to speak, "A perfect night to sleep under the stars..."

   Lucas' eyes widen with embarrassment and he avoids eye contact with me. I laugh softly with his mom although Lucas didn't share our humor.

Simon peeks out of the tent, making eye contact with Lucas and smiling.

"Good morning..."

Simon then tip-toes out of the tent.

"Why were you and Celeste outside last night?"

Ohh...

Lucas and I both stare at each other for an explanation. How do I explain that Lucas and I fell asleep outside after a long talk together, without making Simon think we were deep in love. I can only imagine the kind of remarks he would come up with if he suspected that we were "in Love."

Lucas spoke up first and I hoped that he had a believable explanation for the younger child.

     "Well, we were watching the stars for comets and we accidentally fell asleep..."

Simon didn't seem to believe him so I added to the end of Lucas' excuse.

"...Lucas was too heavy for me to carry to the tent, so I decided to wait until he woke up to tell him to return to the tent. I must have fallen asleep too..."

Simon grinned, still not believing us entirely. He must have already made his conclusion. Kids these days...

He spoke a few seconds after, while failing to hold back a smile. "You guys are weird."

I laughed softly and became aware of Lucas' inquisitive stare. He then grinned and broke eye contact.

   The conversation of last night re-surfaced in my mind and I fought the urge to shake my head. Exhaustion always brings out the cheesy side of my mind. Seriously, I remain silent for nearly a year and then I strike up a conversation about how thankful I am to be here?