Chapter 16- BROKEN MEMORIES

I fell asleep with an odd relief that night.

I have forgotten what it was like to let someone into your life, even for just a moment. Just to laugh with them. To talk with them. Even to just allow a glimpse of hope to brighten a small moment. It all felt like relief.

I was able to slip into sleep easily. The nightmares didn't plague my mind, just a sweet, silent rest. My mind flashed to Lucas' arm around my shoulders, a mixed storm of emotion hit me from every angle.

Some emotion was happiness - a joy I hadn't felt in forever, yet it was blended with fear. Fear for his life and all of the other life's around me. If something would happen to the people I cared about, it would be my fault for letting them into the mess of my life.

    I quickly pushed the thoughts away allowing myself to rest. Tomorrow was a Friday and I would need the energy for the fight.

-

   I awoke with a start, instantly remembering that today was a Friday.

  I smiled to myself, noticing that I had gotten another night filled with restful sleep. Adrenaline was slowly building in my veins, preparing my muscles and mind for later tonight.

   I crawled out of bed and tossed on a pair of jeans and a grey shirt for school. The sun filtered through my window softly and the air was filled with a floral scent.

I really was appreciating spring, even though it marked the end of my high school career. I haven't really though about what would happen after school, until recently.

My fears from my kidnapping prohibited thoughts of my future, especially now that my kidnapper was seeking ways to catch me once more.

I shook the thought and walked downstairs. My parents were preparing breakfast before my father went to work.

They seem to be happier lately, and I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps they were filled with hope, now that I had attempted to open up a little bit.

I grabbed a plate from the cupboard and placed one of the pancakes they had cooked onto it. I ate rather quickly and placed the plate in the sink.

I turned to leave and was suddenly stopped by the soft voice of my mother.

"Celeste..." She paused, "be careful tonight..."

Did she know about the fighting? I nodded, "Sure thing."

She smiled and I waved before walking out the door. Sure, I always came home with bruises every Friday...Yet I didn't really know how to feel about her possibly knowing about the fighting.

Maybe if all of this kidnapping stuff goes away someday, I'll be able to explain myself. Until then I should leave them out of it.

I quickly sidestepped out of the way. I had nearly run into someone, not realizing that my long walk had come to an end at the school.

I glanced up surprised to see that it was a close friend of mine from before the kidnapping. Stella.

Memories of our friendship filled my mind and the last one lingered for a moment.

   It was my last memory of our friendship before the horrible week that changed my life.

   She smiled jokingly and grabbed an oversized pair of glasses from the rack at the store. She placed them on her face and placed a feathery scarf around her neck.