11~ I'm The Highest Rank And So Is He

His facial expression was constantly changing, trying to find the right response.

"Please" I begged softly.

Darren came closer to me in concern.

"Okay" he said taking a seat on one of the chairs in the room.

"What does the birth mark on my ribs really mean?" I asked firstly.

He exhaled a sigh, "I thought I told you" he responded.

"I know there's more than what you're telling me" I retorted.

"You're right" he let out a frustrated sigh, "The birth mark also indicates your position in the vampire society" he answered.

"And my position is?" I pressed further.

"One of the most respected women over every vampire who serves allegiance to my family" he responded.

"Does this have anything to do with my real parents?" I questioned.

"Yes" he sighed ready to tell me something bigger.

"Let me tell you a story. You see decades back in history there were five families who had all the money, power, and qualities of becoming the next leaders of keeping the vampire race safe"

"But this the five families did not like, for you know people want to be better than other people. So a bloodbath occurred and the two families who were allies remained alive. But it seems, today, that the families are loosing their powers and the ability of recreating their kind. Therefore, the families must come together and produce creations of both power and the same species in order to create balance in the vampire society".

I involuntarily shuddered at that story, "Are you saying my family line and your family line were the ones apart of that bloodbath?"

He nodded.

"And now at the end of our lines is you and I?" I asked.

He nodded in agreement.

"And your saying me and you are t-to..." I whispered "have children with our powers, to continue to rule over vampires?"

He couldn't help but smile and say "yes".

My heart sank and so did my body. Darren quickly caught me. The words were like poison to my brain. How could this be? It was as if my body and powers, that is if I had any, were being manipulated by people that surrounded me.

"No" I whispered.

"Candice, it's okay. We can make this work" Darren hurriedly said, comforting me with soundless words. "You can have as much time as you need. I won't ever pressure you on a matter like that!"

I pulled myself up to a standing position shaking him off. No it couldn't be true, No! I didn't want to get married, and I certainly wasn't ready to have babies.

An idea occurred to me, what if I just escape with Damien?

"Darren, who is Damien?" I desperately wanted an answer to that.

I could see Darren tense up at the name. "Where did you hear that name?" he said grabbing my arm.

Pressing his fingers into my skin, "Darren, y-your hurting me" I complain shaking out of his grasp.

Instantly, he let me go from his grasp. I looked at my arm to see a light outline of his fingers on my skin.

"I'm sorry, Candice" he said pulling me in a hug that was just as tight.

"Who is he?" I whispered needing to know. "Is he your enemy?"

"No. He was my brother" his eyes had all of a sudden looked heavy and sad.

"Was?" I ask confused, taking his hands into mine and looking straight into his eyes.

His eyes glared at the ground. "He - He was my identical twin brother. One day he was here at the castle and the next he was gone, disappeared. We had to declare him missing, possibly dead" I can tell Darren doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

"I'm sorry for bringing it up" I say quietly.

"How do you know about that name?" he asks again, clearly bothered.

I panic, should I tell him the truth? That his brother is alive, out there hiding?

I feel extremely bad for Darren's family issue, even if my family was messed up too. I can't live in guilt!

"I saw him" I whisper. "He looks a lot like you, only he has hazel eyes and a red and orange birth mark" I say guiltily looking down.

All of a sudden he's got his hand holding my chin up and looking straight into his eyes.

"That's exactly him! When did you see him? Did you talk to him? Wait. Were you talking to him earlier?" Darren is all of a sudden bombarding me with questions.

I sighed. "I saw him at the dance club the first time. I was about to fall and then he caught me. I sincerely thought he was you" I confessed with embarrassment.

"The first time? How many times have you seen him?" he asks growing upset.

I held my fingers '2'.

Darren's reaction was an annoyed sigh, followed by his hands covering his face in pure stress.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask confused at his reaction.

"I'm mad at the fact my brother, not once has had the guts to visit me. Ashamed of himself he should be!" he yells facing the ceiling. "What else has he said to you?"

"He told how different you guys look" I replied. But I don't mention his offer of escaping.

"It was his fault that he left and I was put in his position!" Darren yells at no one in particular again.

I just stare from a distance just in case he blows up.

"Candice" he calls my name.

I just look at him as a symbol that it's my attention he's got.

"I love you no matter what" he breathes. "Your mine no matter what"