The mining town four

(A/N: The image was made by fuck-milk on tumblr)

"The Mining Town Four" was Dr. James Corenthal's pet name for the four children that he adopted from the Fairmount Children's Home: Vincent, Evan, Jeffrey and Stephanie.

In a record from the Children's home Corenthal details the intake of Evan, a controversial patient, also referred to as HABIT. A Second record details the intake of Vincent to the facility, and refers to both Evan and Vincent as having come from a "town of ash," presumed to be Centralia, PA. The details of how Jeffrey and Stephanie came to the Fairmount Children's Home have not been revealed.

The first reference to the name "Mining Town Four" is found in a letter from Corenthal, where it was revealed that Dr. Corenthal and his wife Maryann had adopted the four children and were raising them. In the same letter he refers to the last of the children as having "succumbed." The details of what that meant was unclear until one of the articles in the Microfilm Collection (retrieved during the video One step forward, two steps back) revealed that the children had died in the same timeframe mentioned here. Also in the microfilm was an account of Dr. Corenthal getting into a fight with some locals while "looking into the history of [his] children's former lives." He told the police that "The locals simply didn't want anything to do with me."

Beyond sharing names, the relationship between The Mining Town Four and the cast of EMH is unclear at this point, though it is clear that there is a connection. This connection is part of the basis of the Iteration Theory. In the video "Lexi," HABIT explains to Vinnie that there are people involved in this who are "on the inside" and some who are "on the outside." Vinnie and his friends (presumably HABIT means the rest of the cast,) are on the "inside." This status could be a reference to being on the Mining Town Four.

Fairmount Vincent

In the second report from Dr. James Corenthal he describes a patient named Vincent who had been accepted to Fairmount Children's Home from the same mining town as Fairmount Evan. Referred to by fans as Fairmount Vincent the boy is described as loving games and puzzles. In another letter from Corenthal Fairmount Vincent was described as being a "young visual artist." Before coming to the home he had been a victim of an abuser named Reverend Green. It is heavily intimated in the report that the Reverend treated Fairmount Vincent in a sexually predatorial way. Fairmount Vincent sat unconcerned in a room while the Reverend was mysteriously dismembered in the room next door. Fairmount Vincent was described as "calm" and "happy" when he was found. When his father tried to remove him from the scene, he was quoted as saying "I would make sure it was okay with Man before we did that. He is very, very greedy. Apparently, the reverend didn't know that Man doesn't share."

Fairmount Vincent also appears to have a relationship with HABIT, referring to "Captain Habit" in a portion of the interview transcribed in the paperwork. Whether this refers to Habit/Evan, whom he had met at the children's home, or to the entity HABIT is unclear. Fairmount Vincent and three other children were adopted by Dr. Corenthal and his wife Maryann, and taken away from the children's home. He referred to them collectively as "The Mining Town Four." He described the four children as being haunted by personal demons.

Fairmount Evan

In the first report that we became aware of from Dr. James Corenthal he describes a patient named Evan who had been accepted to Fairmount Children's Home after great controversy. Referred to by fans as Fairmount Evan or Habit, Corenthal describes the boy as distant and moody, only willing to respond to the name "Habit" which had been what his dead mother called him.

Fairmount Evan was involved in several bloody incidents at Fairmount, including the murder of a young nurse and the killing of a warren of rabbits kept at the school. After that he was forbidden writing implements, but was allowed a Polaroid camera as a means of keeping a diary.

Fairmount Evan and three other children were adopted by Dr. Corenthal and his wife Maryann, and away from the children's home. He referred to them collectively as "The Mining Town Four." He described the four children as being haunted by personal demons.

Fairmount Jeffrey

Though previous Corenthal documents had referred to children who had the same name as Vince and Evan, no child named Jeffrey had been noted. In the Corenthal letter dated 10-27-1981, however, Corenthal referred to his adopted children as "The Mining Town Four", and a child named Jeffrey is listed among them. He is referred to by fans as Fairmount Jeffrey, and Corenthal described the boy as a writer, saying that he had written a small collection of short stories. In the Corenthal Report dated 12-14-1971, Corenthal detailed the events that led to Jeffrey being sent to the Fairmount Children's home: the previous Christmas, Jeffrey had been witness to his father coming home and killing his mother and sister, and subsequently himself, with a shotgun. Jeffrey actually witnessed the deaths of his father and his sister, Ellie, but his mother died in the kitchen, out of his line of sight. When Jeffrey asked his father why he had killed Ellie, he replied, "The Man made me do it." Corenthal's report also describes a Christmas ornament that Jeffrey and his father had made together.

Later, in the Christmas Letter, Corenthal described Fairmount Jeff and Fairmount Vincent as having a relationship built around practical jokes and camaraderie. Fairmount Jeffrey and three other children were adopted by Dr. Corenthal and his wife Maryann, and taken away from the children's home. He described the four children as being "haunted by personal demons". When this letter was received, it had a Christmas ornament with it. The ornament fit the description of the ornament made by Jeffrey and his father.