Chapter 5

I gained a new friend on Friday. The school nurse.

I had miraculously made it to class on time despite having missed the bus, only to trip once more on the threshold as I had done it yesterday, face planting into the floor at full force. My lip had bust open and gushed enough blood to make a small harmless stumble look like a massacre.

My homeroom teacher, as I soon found out, had a thing against blood if it wasn't in the body and looked ready to projectile vomit on me, prompting Teddy to quickly escort me out of the classroom and to the nurse.

Other than that very interesting stunt, the day passed uneventfully. I did receive numerous snarky comments from Natalie, and one unsuccessful attempt at tripping me, but otherwise people were friendly to me, some stopping to introduce themselves.

The group had told me to bring my basketball stuff to school seeing as try-outs were taking place that afternoon, giving me something to work towards to while I withered away in a very boring english class.

*

There were a couple girls in the gym dribbling a basketball ball when I stepped inside beside Teddy. While her place was already guaranteed, she had come along to support me.

With an arm slung easily around my shoulders we walked towards the others, noting that besides Natalie another girl stood, visibly sizing us up as we approached.

"Who's that?" I whispered to Teddy.

"Mel" she sighed, "Natalie's second in command basically. Class A bitch if you ask me"

I chuckled.

"You think you make it onto our team?" Mel asked sardonically, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, actually I think I can. Will that be a problem for you?"

Mel tossed the basketball that was in her hands, right at my face, but years of mixed martial arts had honed my reflexes, allowing me to catch the ball before it made contact with me. Grasping the sphere in one hand, I bought it down to my side and dribbled it twice.

Mel frowned, taking the smallest of steps back.

The door opened once more and a man stepped in, on his head a cap with the school emblem stitched on.

"I'm coach Gabriel, welcome to Varsity team try-outs" he introduced himself, "great turn-up this year. Looks like a promising season to me. We might have a chance against Willow Creek this year" he said clapping his hands.

He noted down our names and preferred positions before sending us around the gym to warm up.

Half an hour into try-outs and we stood sweat drenched on the court, hands on our knees as we listened to Gabriel joyfully tell us a story of state nationals when he was a teenager.

I grimaces as he waved his arms around, wanting to get on with it.

"Hey! Did I give you permission to stop suicides?" He suddenly exclaimed, resting his hands on his hips.

Groaning we continued the tortures stamina work-out.

"Just kidding. Now we scrimmage" he said, moving to the middle of the court.

He split us up into teams, and commenced the game. Mel was on the opposing team and made it her personal mission to try and block me, or foul me, whatever came first.

When I got the ball passed to me from our play-maker I drove it down court, pulling short at the three point line and taking a step back, letting Mel come closer.