Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I watched Echo walk off the field with Jimmy and Ryder flanking her. She didn't seem the least bit affected by me when she picked up her shoe again. Weird, I thought, trying very hard not to let my ego be bruised by her aloof attitude.

She was laughing at something the twins had said, her long brown hair tumbling down her back effortlessly. Shaking my head I turned and grabbed my stuff before going to change. If she was friends with the twins then I'd be seeing more of her.

Don't flatter yourself

I scoffed silently at her words while I changed. I nodded my head at something Ezra was telling me while not really paying attention.

"So do you think you can come?" he asked me, looking hopeful.

I creased my eyebrows as I looked at him, trying my best to recall what the hell he was talking about.

"Yeah sure. I mean I think can" I said grinning and patting his shoulder before sidestepping him and leaving the changing room. When I took the flights of steps up to the main building of the school again I saw Echo sitting leant against a wall with her eyes closed, her face turned up to the sun.

I took a moment to appreciate her pretty features, the sun annunciating her high cheek bones and shining brown hair. When I heard the other guys emerge from the changing rooms I hurried over to her.

"Hey shoe tosser. You're gonna be late to your next class if you sunbath the whole day" I said resting my shoulder against the wall beside her.

She shielded her eyes against the sun, peering up at me with steely grey eyes.

"It was an honest accident. I swear" she said, dusting off her pants as she stood, "and I wasn't planning on staying here the whole day. Teddy said she would come get me to show me to my next class" she said, tilting her head back slightly to look at me despite her considerable height.

"What's your next class?" I asked her, snatching the schedule out of her hands.

"Biology I think" she said, readjusting her bag.

"I'm heading there too. Teddy will figure that one of us took you" I stated, handing back the schedule and leading the way down the hallway.

"One of you guys?" she asked, coming up beside me.

"Yeah one of us in our group. We're six all together." I said, pushing my hair out of my eyes.

The hallways were crowded, filled with shouting teenagers rushing from one class to another. I glance down at Echo as she moved easily with grace, her eyes flickering between the different people, taking in the scene.

"How long have you been here?" I asked her for the sake of making small talk.

"We arrived three days ago. Just moved here" she stated simply, moving closer to me for a second to avoid running into someone. I grinned slightly as she involuntary pressed up against me.

Hey what can I say? I'm a guy, she's a pretty girl.

"Do you play any sports, beside throwing your shoe at people?"

"Are you going to let that go?" Echo asked exasperatedly looking up at me.

"Nope" I laughed, holding open the door to the classroom.

"Yeah I do play a normal sport. I play basketball" she said, her eyes roaming across the classroom in search of a seat.

I rested my hand on the small of her back and steered her to the back where my seat was.