Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I fumbled in the dark in search of my alarm clock as it blared its obnoxious wake up call through my scarcely furnished room. When I finally stumbled over the wretched thing and hit the snooze button I sighed and rubbed my eyes. The air mattress I had slept on had a hole, resulting in all the air escaping it and leaving me on the hard ground. Grumbling I untangled the knots in my hair and picked out something to put on, stumbling towards the bathroom. I winced as the bright light shone in my eyes and hissed at the cold tiles. Alright so I wan't a morning person. Can't help it.

I whistled a tune as I made my way to the kitchen finding my mom at the table with my baby brothers. When she heard me at the door she looked up and smiled.

"Morning honey" she patted the seat next to her and I trudged across the kitchen, pressing a kiss to her cheek before slumping into my chair. I watched amused as the twins sloshed around their food, squeaking delightfully.

"How'd you sleep baby girl?" she asked me pushing my plate under my nose and grinning.

"The floor is hard" I chuckled as I picked up a piece of bacon and began munching on the crispy goodness.

"Oh no, the air leaked again?" She asked me, her eyebrows knitted together in a sympathetic look.

"It's okay. The container is coming soon. It's only for a couple more nights" I stated defiantly, smiling at her.

She kissed my head as she stood, forcing my brothers apart as they tugged at each others' hair.

"When does the bus leave?" I asked absentmindedly as I polished off my breakfast and finished my tea.

She tucked Mikey under her right arm before shaking out her wrist watch, "In five minutes"

I groaned frustrated, running back to my room to brush my teeth and grab my empty backpack.

Mom kissed me goodbye at the door, and I ruffled Mikey's and Ezra's hair before skipping down the steps two at a time and running for the bus stop. I was not going to be late on my first day of school.

"STOP!" I called after the bus as it proceeded to roll out of the bus stop. I watched the sardonic look the bus driver shot me as she slowed the bus just enough for me to jump on. It seemed like by drivers made it their personal mission to make other people lives miserable.

I ducked my way along the aisle, settling into a vacant seat next to an elderly lady to proceeded to not-so-descretly stare at me for the remainder of the bus ride. I watched the pretty neighbourhood pass by outside the bus window, grinning when I saw the basketball court I had already familiarised myself with. When the school building came into view at the end of the street I stood and promptly slammed my head into the railing above the seat.

I hissed out in pain, rubbing my head as I stumbled down the steps of the bus. Being 6'2 wasn't fun when you couldn't even sit properly in a bus or stand up without bumping into anything.

I hated public transport.

I streamed into the building alongside hundreds of other high school students, all not so eager for the first day back after summer break. We were juniors now, I thought as I tilted my head, trying to figure out where the main office was.

Technically speaking it was really my first day of school. More like my fifth first day at school. One of the perks of my mother working the job that she has. We got to the travel and move around the world every couple of years. Now we were here.

I ignored most of the curious looks students gave me as I gradually pushed my way through the hallway. The pungent smell of numerous perfumes and colognes mixing together stung my nose as I finally located the sign.