On Their Way To Find Zavac

Several days later, we were docking in a town with a trading fleet we had helped.

The captain of the gaurd ship Seahawk was called Mannoc.

He was treating us to a feast for helping.

We were in a local in, and I was enjoying the music.

"Cora, are you ok?" asked Ben.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"You ain't talkin' to bubby."

"I'm listening to the music, and I think he is too."

"Nope. He's starin' at you."

I looked to where Jesper was sitting on the other side of the room.

Sure enough, he was staring at me.

Our eyes met, and he blushed slightly, causing me to smirk.

I rolled my eyes as he was staring at me again, and he smirked.

There were some of Mannoc's crew dancing with the townspeople, and I just watched.

One of them was trying to be nice when he asked me to dance.

"No, but thank you for offering,  because I know you were just trying to be nice." I told him lightly.

A few moments later, I was startled when Jesper stood behind my chair, placing his hands on my shoulders.

We watched Stig talk Missy in to dancing, which took great effort might I add.

"Hey Cora, Jesper!"

"What Stefan?" I asked.

"Why don't you two dance? You were always the life of a party back home!"

"Oh, I don't know..." Jesper sighed, looking at me with a mischievous glint in his eye.

He just wanted to mess with him.

"Yeah, my thigh and side are still a little sore..." I added, playing along.

He got the rest of the Herons and Mannoc's crew to tell us we should.

Jesper helped me up from my seat.

"Stefan, we were just picking on you." I smiled, genuinely for the first time that night.

We had fun dancing, just like we always did, and everyone was cheering, because they really did see us as the life of the party.

When the slow songs started, I went to sit down, since at all the other parties I went to, that was never our thing.

"Come on, why don't we dance a few more?" he asked, not dropping my hand.

"Slow songs normally aren't our thing, Jes." I reminded him.

A wide grin lit up his face.

"There is always a first."

"Ok." I smiled.

Third Person P.O.V

Missy was talking to Mannoc.

"Are they a couple, because they would make a good one." Mannoc commented.

"Not exactly. He is in love with her and has been for a while, and even got into fights over her. She's not entirely sure how she feels about him yet. It's obvious to the rest of us, but she tends to unintentionally block out her feelkngs when she is talking to someone other than him. He brings out the real her." Missy explained.

"So, in other words, it's complex."

"Very. They've been best friends since we all were little. The best part about him is that dad has always liked him."

"That's always helpful."

Cora's P.O.V.

Jesper and I even had fun during the slow songs, and when I laid my head on his chest,  he pulled me closer.

"I love you Cora." he whispered.

"I know you do, and I'm working on figuring out my feelings, I promise."

"Come on, we'll go back to the ship while everyone is distracted."

"For what?"

"Your birthday present."

"I forgot!"

As we were walking out, Missy was the only one who noticed us.

"Happy birthday. " I mouthed.

We got to the ship, and I was beginning to wonder what he got me.

He took out several wrapped objects.

We were sitting on the deck, and he handed me the first object.

I unwrapped it, and it was an axe. A good one too.

"Before we left, your father gave this to Thorn to give to you when he thought you were ready, and Thorn gave it to me." he said.

It had my name engraved in the handle.

He handed me another package, and this one was chain mail armor.

"I thought I would buy you some so you would be safer and less likely to be injured again."

One of the last three packages contained a book.

In fact, it was more like a diary then anything else.

"Your dad also sent this with Svengal. He said you like to come up with short stories, and he thought you might want to write them down."

One of the last two contained another book. One about the stars, and the ocean, and nature.

"I-I picked that one out earlier today."

When I opened the last one, it was beautiful.

It was a rather large piece of wood, that on the top was my name, and carved into it was a heron, a sword, a bow, an axe, little places where jems were placed firmly with a glue of some sort, and I couldn't believe it. My mother's necklace.

"I made that myself. I've been working on it for the past five years, since I first admitted to myself I love you."

"Jesper, it's amazing!!" I exclaimed,  hugging him tightly.

He pulled me onto his lap.

"Good. I was hoping you'd like it, but there is one more thing that Bjorn and Tursgud and Ulf wanted me to give you."

It was and amazing bracelet, that doubled as a ring!

"Thank you." was all I could say.

He just kissed me.