First Days of Training

The next morning, while eating breakfast, our trainer came over saying we were to get any personal weapons we had and report to the training grounds.

We all went home to gather what we had, then reported to the training area. Missy and I were the first ones back.

Missy had a small sword that she liked to use, that was of Nihon-Jan make.

I had a sword, similar to the ones use in Arulen, but made of Nihon-Jan steel to make it stronger. I also had an Arulen longbow, and I knew how to use it. I surprised the archers that Arulen had in place here by being better than them. All the boys arrived at the same time. Hal had a small crossbow, Stig had a sword, Ulf and Wulf had throwing axes, Ingvar had a club that looked like it came from a rather large tree, Edvin and Stefan had daggers, and Jesper had a small battle axe.

One by one, we had to prove we could use our weapons.

First came Jesper. He just swung it a lot,  aiming and hitting his targets dead on.

Second were Edvin and Stefan. They threw their daggers and hit dead center every time.

Next were Ulf and Wulf. In unison, they picked up their axes. In unison they drew their arms back. In unison they threw, and, in unison, they missed. I was trying hard not to laugh.

After them was Stig. That sword was too small for him though.

Once he was done, it was Hal's turn. He's deadly accurate,  there is just no one here to help him with it.

Last of the boys was Ingvar. I knew he could lift that club of his, but no one else would.

After him was Missy. She could use that sword of hers very well. The instructor was impressed, and I could tell that Stig was too.

Last, but not least was me. First, I showed him how well I could use a sword, then I used the bow, shocking everybody there, even Missy. I had been keeping my training a secret.

Stig, Ingvar, Jesper, Ulf, and Wulf were given battle axes. Hal, Edvin, and Stefan were given swords. Missy and I just used our own.

We were training to swing as hard as we could, with enough force to kill.

Hal asked the instructor if it was possible for us to use the Heron as our ship in the competition. We got a yes, and I was glad, because we already knew how to use it.

When we got back to our shelter, we all made sure our weapons were spotless and sharp.

An hour later, Hal was going around inspecting them.

"Jesper, your axe still has a bit of rust still." he said gently.

"I'll take care of it later." Jesper replied uncaringly.

"Ok, if you sa-" Hal started.

"Jesper, wouldn't it be easier for you to just take care of it now, just in case you forget?" I asked.

"No," Jesper said, as if he thought I was on warmweed.

"Jesper, please just take care of it. I'd rather not lose points, or look stupid in front of the others." I said.

"You can't tell me what to do! You're just a girl! Men are superior, and the only reason you care what the others think is because you're trying to impress Tursgud and Rollond! You don't care if we lose, you care about being here and that's it! You shouldn't even be here, you won't make it!" Jesper exclaimed, fed up with me.

"Fine, if that's how you feel, I'll just leave, and you'll never have to worry about me, and I won't have to deal with you!!!" I yelled.

"See if I care." he said.