The Race and Tug-of-War Competitions

For weeks, all we did was practice. We were hitting the training dummies, as hard as we could, locked in with the time the instructors were setting with their whistles. I was going to smash every single whistle I saw, that's how annoying they got.

We were finally starting to improve, though.

I was just glad Ingvar was even getting better, with his eyesight and all.

"Foot racing! Twenty minutes!" Sigurd yelled.

We went to our barracks, then double timed it to the Common Green.

When we got there, we found out that the course had been set while we slept.

Our team was debating who would run.

"I'll run." said Stig.

"Sorry Stig, but I think Jesper should." I replied.

"Why, because you favor him? You are biased in all of your decisions,  Cora." Stig practically shouted at me.

"Stig, back off. Leave her alone. You don't see me yelling at Missy when I don't agree with her do you?" Jesper asked in a dangerous voice as he stepped in front of me.

"Jesper's running, and no one is changing that." Hal said firmly, knowing that if I spoke, I would lose it.

Stig was mad, and continued to glare at me. I heard him and Missy having a quiet conversation about it though.

"Stig, Jesper is better in this sort of thing. He has a better chance, and we all know you're gonna wrestle for our team. You shouldn't have yelled at her like that. If she hates you, it's your own fault." Missy said quietly. Stig just sighed.

Without warning, Sigurd just yelled, "Go!"

Jesper was off that second, but he was used to moment's notice getaways. The other two were just standing there, not sure if it was a trick or not.

Then they were off. It was neck and neck, and then we lost sight of them. When they came back into sight, who ever was running for the Wolves was ahead, and there was no way Jesper could pass him now.

Jesper and Tursgud were lined up, shoulder to shoulder,  niether ahead, neither behind.

One would pull aheas, then the other would catch up.

Neither could get ahead.

Jesper, when they got close to the finish line, knew the only way he would win is if he managed to throw himself over the finish line, he just didn't have the energy. He went over the finish line,  just after Tursgud did.

He was upset that he didn't even make second.

"You did your best." said Stig.

"But it wasn't enough!" Jesper said while I was helping him up from where he had fallen trying to throw himself over the finish line.

"Of course it was. They were just a bit faster." I said as he pit an arm around my shoulders so I could help him walk. He had sprained his ankle during the race, yet he still kept running.

We slowly made our way to the mess hall, and got lunch. I took Jesper to his seat before getting his lunch as well as mine.

Then Tursgud came to talk.

"Hey Cora." he said.

"Hey Tursgud." I replied.

"So, would you like to come sit with me and my team, because I noticed that over the past month, you and Jesper haven't been getting along as well."