The First Competition

The next day was the day for the mountain race. The goal was to get to the shacks on the side of the mountain, get the figurine of the animal that represents your brotherband, then get to the bottom before the other team.

"So, Rolland is running for the Wolves, and Tursgud for the Sharks. Who will run for us?" Hal asked.

"I will!" Jesper volunteered.

"Um... Hal, it says here that the mountain race is a group event. They are testing our skills of observation." I said softly.

"Good point Cora... Are you okay? You seem off today." Stig asked.

I made brief,  very brief eye contact with Jesper. He still had that apologetic look.

"No, I'm... Fine." I replied.

Then we all headed for the base of the mountain.

"Who will run for each team?" the head of the instructors asked.

"I'll run for my team!" Tursgud yelled, flashing a smile my way. I rolled my eyes, and Jesper glared at him. Why does he care? He hates me. I thought. No he doesn't, he just was in a bad mood that day. He cares. I hate it when I argue with myself, I always lose.

"I'll run for mine." Rollond replied, glancing my way. They both thought I was running by myself for the Herons.  What are they smoking?

"Who will run for the Herons?" the instructor asked.

"We all will." I replied, glaring at Tursgud.

"So at least 1 of them will make it back!" Knut added. I turned to the instructor.

"May I?" I asked.

"Be my guest." he replied. No one else, but Jesper only because he knew me too well, knew what I was talking about. I walked up to Knut, and socked him in the face, once in the gut, and kicked him in the groin for good measure.

Then the race began. We were slow, but we would win. The other two would be disqualified for not following requirements.

We finally got to the shack, and Jesper got the bird figurine.

When we got to the bottom, the others were already there.

"And the winners of this year's mountain race are... The Herons!" the instructor said.

"WHAT?!" Tursgud and Rollond exclaimed.

"This was a group event and we were testing you observation skills." the instructor explained calmly.

"This is why we were given a list of the events, Tursgud. You gonna start reading now, or are you too stupid?" I asked.

He had no response.

"Hey, if it wasn't for Cora here, no one would've won." Stig said, putting an arm around my shoulders. Jesper glared at him for some reason, and Tursgud started to turn red.

We all were given two weeks off. I was sitting on my cliff, and Rollond came over to talk, since for two weeks we aren't enemies.

"Have you and Jesper sorted things out?"

"Not really. He's sorry, I know that, but he's worrying me. He is under the impression that you have a crush on me."

"I see you as more of a little sister than anything."

"I know, but Jesper is being over-protective. I don't know why it's started all of a sudden though. I wish we could just work this out."

"Well, I heard him telling someone he was going to talk to you after lunch."

"Ok, thanks Rollond. You are like the big brother I wish I had."

He walked away, and I just sat there thinking.

Why would Jesper be so over-protective? I mean, he was always protective of me when it came to Tursgud, but now he was being hostile to Rollond and Stig when they look at me. They both are like brothers to me.

Then Tursgud came to talk.

"Hi Cora."

"What do you want?"

"Just to talk."

"About what?"

"How were you the only one to remember that the mountain race was a group event?"

"I don't know, why do you care?"

"Just asking."

"I came here to think in silence. Could you please go away?"

"Ok, bye."

Finally he was gome.

The only reason I can think of that would make Jesper so over-protective all of a sudden is if he has a crush on me. I don't think he does though, after all, why me? I'm not a normal girl, why would he choose me of all people? Of the hundreds of girls in Halasholm, he picks me.

I hadn't noticed how quickly time passed.

Jesper sat down beside me, and I could tell he was looking at me, even though I had my eyes closed.

"You're not still mad at me, are you?" he asked quietly.

"I was never actually mad at you. I was more hurt and upset than anything."

"I'm really sorry, Cora. I don't know why I said that. I didn't mean it,  and I should've listened to you."

"Jesper, why are you so protective of me all of a sudden?"

"What do you mean?"

"You glared at Stig when he put an arm around me, and you looked like you would kill Rollond when he loked my way earlier. I see them both as brothers, and I thought you knew that."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Jesper, yes you do. I'm not stupid, and you are avoiding the question."

"Ok, what do you think it is?" he challenged, turning so his back was to the edge of the cliff and sea, and he was facing me.

"My guess is you like me and want to be more than friends." I smiled. He thought a moment.

"Possibly. Maybe it's not that. You just won't know untill I decided to tell you."

"You just want to pick on me don't you."

"A little."

He turned back around to sit by me once again, and put his arm around me like he normally does. I laid my head on his shoulder, glad we were still friends.